Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Arcibald Wearlot

Converting a matrix to a different coordinate system

I'm writing a model exporter for 3d studio max 6. This program uses a right handed coordinate system, plus it swaps the Y and Z axes (the Z axis is pointing up, the X right and the Y into the screen). It was quite easy to export the vertex data, i just swapped the y and z coordinates, negated the z coord and inverted vertex order in a triangle. Now i'm trying to export the transform matrices of the bones. Max uses 4x3 matrices, so i suppose it is storing transformations the same way as DirectX (i don't remember how this is called, row-major? column-major?), that is the last row holds the x, y and z translation, so it would be easy to convert those, but i have no idea of how to convert the rotations.. anyway the Max SDK's Matrix3 class has some useful functions to retrieve the translation and rotations, such as GetYawPitchRoll(), so i can directly access to the rotation angles, but yet i have no idea on how to convert them. Any help would be greatly appreciated edit: maybe i had to post this in the math forum? [edited by - Arcibald Wearlot on May 17, 2004 1:34:03 PM]

Guest Anonymous Poster
Instead of "swapped the y and z coordinates, negated the z coord", figure out the equivalent 4x4 transformation matrix (hint: it''s a rotation). If we call that M and the bone transformation B, then I believe that the transformation becomes M<sup>-1</sup>BM.

Use the IGameExporter interface, available from sparks.discreet.com. It makes exporters Really Simple (tm) and has a bunch of coordinate system modes already built-in.

The Cx format and exporter has a sample exporter that actually does something as opposed to the Discreet example. However, it''s for Max 5.1; dunno how much changed with Max 6.

quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster
Instead of "swapped the y and z coordinates, negated the z coord", figure out the equivalent 4x4 transformation matrix (hint: it's a rotation). If we call that M and the bone transformation B, then I believe that the transformation becomes M<sup>-1</sup>BM.

hmh, i dont think i understand what you mean

quote:
Original post by hplus0603
Use the IGameExporter interface, available from sparks.discreet.com. It makes exporters Really Simple (tm) and has a bunch of coordinate system modes already built-in.

The Cx format and exporter has a sample exporter that actually does something as opposed to the Discreet example. However, it's for Max 5.1; dunno how much changed with Max 6.

Yeah it's some time that i use the IGame interface, it really got anything a lot easier. It automatically computes the normals! before of using it, i had to manually interpolate them using smoothing groups and blah blah blah. I got it working, and it was perfectly useless as the day after I discovered IGame
Anyway I didn't know of the coordinate system modes you are mentioning..
Is there some sort of documentation? Im just using the headers for now.
I just looked on sparks: there are only the japanese documentation (-_-') and an introduction to IGame, but i have to be registered to download it.

[edited by - Arcibald Wearlot on May 19, 2004 4:43:16 PM]