New newbies making a game

Started by
4 comments, last by the_watchman 19 years, 11 months ago
lo, all... Myself and a few other newbies are going to make a game, to teach ourselves the basics... (for full details go to www.gamedevelopment.cjb.net and feel free to join our forums) We hav decided on the engine: TrueVision3d and we''ve decided the programming language: Visual C++ We got a modelling person and we''re ok for programmers (dusnt mean dont join) but we dont really know where to start... We''ve pretty much sorted out the models that we''ll need, but we dont know what we''re doing with them, and we dont really know where to start... plz help plz feel free if ur a rookie to visit our website (www.gamedevelopment.cjb.net) and also join our forums (follow the links on our website. If ur not a rookie, join up anyway and help us! lol
__ the_watchman __
Advertisement
Start Here. Although I really wouldn't suggest beginning on a game until all of your programmers have completely mastered the language you choose(C++).

[edited by - Bakingsoda36 on May 17, 2004 1:58:27 PM]
Sounds to me like you''ll need a little more organisation among the ranks if you intend to actual make a commercial game. Anyone who is unsure about their commitments should be dropped from the team, as they''ll end up proving their commitments when you need them most.

You should also draw up a charter, basically giving the rules of development, your coding standard, etc. I suggest you fill out this form on the coding standard the team will use, and upload a copy to the website. That way, each team member can read over it, refer back to it and make sure their coding standard matches.
You may wish to make other standards such as documentation and backing up files.

You may also wish to look at some version control system (VCS).

By looking at your website, it seems some of you want to sprint before you can paralytically crawl, so to speak, you already have ideas for the "commercial game" and the engine but none on the training game. While this enthusiasm is refreshing and encouraging, use it all on the Training Game first. I''m sure your mind will change about what is feasible after you''ve made the Training Game, and by then you can find out who is really prepared to put the work in.

One last thing, you say on your website that you will try and focus on "graphics and variety". The graphics part [STRIKE]could[/STRIKE] will be very tricky for beginners, so watch out!

Good luck to you!

Stay Clausal,

Red Sodium
"Learn as though you would never be able to master it,
hold it as though you would be in fear of losing it" - Confucius
thnx 4 ur support (dont stop). ur right, we need to focus on the training game (we hav no names yet). We are discussin that on the forums at the mo, and we''re getting the modelling sorted out but we dont really know exactly where to go after that...

thnx, keep the support cuming, and please feel free to join our forums.
__ the_watchman __
Yes, listen to red_sodium. I would think all day about making this Real-Time 3D Engine I wanted to build. We all have ambitious goals about creating eloborate games.

When I worked at Midway for a couple of weeks, I spoke with a programmer from the Mortal Kombat team. He said if anything, master the basics. He said they are crucial. It''s true. Master C++ (or whatever language you plan on using) first.

Also, coding standards are important. I''m working on a game with 3 other people. Again, aim for the Training game. 3D graphics are tough to program for the newbie. There are Post Mortems on Gamesutra. Check those out. I wish you luck.
thnx... yeah, we''re turning around and trying to focus on the training game now... we havnt decided on coding standards yet, but i think all members of the team know about commenting ur code and stuff...

Keep the support cuming plz!
__ the_watchman __

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement