Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

opengl or directx?

This topic is 4959 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Okay; I''ve written bunches of 2D games in everything except for Windows...so currently I''m making my very own Tetris Clone. I feel comfortable programming in Windows (well, as comfortable as one can be perhaps) and I''ve brushed up on my calc and trig, so I feel I''m ready for the jump to 3D. I found what I think is a good tutorial on www.two-kings.de, and it''s in DirectX (which is what my clone is in of course). What my question is then is: Why OpenGL instead of DirectX? Just what is the difference? Should I learn Direct3D first, at all, or should I not bother with OpenGL? I honestly have no idea what the difference is, other than old games used OpenGL and, when DirectX sucked, OpenGL was the driver you wanted the game to use. (The first Unreal game for instance.) Any answer or article would be nice. Since I''m so ingratiated with DirectX as it stands now, I''ll probably start there anyway. I''m just curious as to what I might be missing.

This isn''t a graphics theory question, it''s a beginner question - and a very common one. The answer is common, too:

Flip a coin.

Unless you have specific reasons for picking one or other other (non-Windows platform precludes DirectX; aiming for portability, too), just pick one.

Closed.

This topic is 4959 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.