my model looks good but crappy in game

Started by
13 comments, last by webjeff 19 years, 11 months ago
Adding some kind of lighting would greatly improve the appearance of your model. The best thing to do in this case would be to have some kind of lightmap, but writting a decent lightmapper can be tricky and difficult. I think 3DS Max has the ability to bake lighting colors into the texture though, you may want to try that. If you can have 3DS Max create a lightmap for you your model will look a lot closer to what you have in 3DS. If that doesn't work you can always try some simple vertex lighting. Your model looks decently tessalated so it may look good. You should also turn on alpha blending. It looks like the lights in stadium have transparent sections.

[edited by - impossible on May 17, 2004 12:09:11 AM]
Advertisement
Here are the top three hitters:

1) You need to create a device with multi-sample anti-aliasing.

2) You need to add a point light that''s in the upper-left corner of the scene, as viewed right now -- your current scene is totally flat-lit.

3) Max renders with per-pixel lighting. You need to write a per-pixel material that works much like the MAX material, which isn''t too hard (you can start with a typical Phong .fx file and go from there).

If you have a card older than GeForce FX 5200, or older than Radeon 9500, then you need to upgrade so that you have support for shader model 2.0; it''s hardly possible to emulate the Max materials with the older cards at all.

Good luck!
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };
lighting-shading (per pixel lighting), anti-aliasing, mip-mapping, transparency.

looks like your stuff is rendered flat-lit. add some lights, I let you guess where to place them

Everything is better with Metal.

Same as everyone else said.
Nice model though - how long did it take you? Are you a hobbyist - at some point I want to find a modeller for my game...
Lighting, depth cueing, and Gouraud shading are your friends.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement