my model looks good but crappy in game

Started by
13 comments, last by webjeff 19 years, 11 months ago
OK, In 3d max 6 my model looks sweet!! I can render a picture and it blows people''s minds, its nice. But I load it in my 3d game and render it and it looks horrible. Its a big model, and at the other end it gets all pixellated and the whole model just looks terrible. What things should I start searching or any renderstates I can set to make the textures look their best?? I know like detail maps n stuff, but do I gotta do that to everything?? Thanks Jeff
Advertisement
screenshot?
Well, 3D Studio Max is probably using very complicated rendering processes to make the models look so good. Trying to mimick that in real time in a game is pretty much impossible (especiallly since this is a big model).

Also, you might want to increase the screen resolution of the window your game is running in (if it''s full screen), and try increasing the depth buffer to 32 bit if you''ve not done so already. Using anti-aliasing would help too, if it''s not already turned on.

A screen shot would help a lot.

----------------------------------------------------------
You know, I might as well go ahead and say I can''t fix the problem... because that''s when I figure out how.
----------------------------------------------------------You know, I might as well go ahead and say I can't fix the problem... because that's when I figure out how.
You need to set a couple of render states, and it will look much better. It will never look 3DS Max calibre, but it will look nice.

Turn on bilinear filtering, use mipmapping, and -- if possible -- use full-screen antialiasing.

If you're just loading it into the DirectX SDK samples, for instance, they will indeed look lousy. Most of those samples do not utilize mipmap filtering. But, enable those render states and it will look great.

[edited by - The Frugal Gourmet on May 17, 2004 4:00:29 PM]
Co-creator of Star Bandits -- a graphical Science Fiction multiplayer online game, in the style of "Trade Wars'.
quote:Original post by Super Robot Fox
screenshot?

Agreed! Screenshot!!

C''mon Webjeff, in fact you have internet-buzzword right in your nick, but didn''t include a screenshot!

You''d have 5 definate answers by now!
ok,

The long awaited screenie is here.

http://www.artec-rail.com/artec2/imgversions.JPG

haha. You will see 3 versions

1) old, original
2) some added renderstates
3) the max rendered god.

Is there anything else besides bilinear filtering and mip maps that would make it look better... oh yea, it is windowed too so anti-aliasing will come later once its full screened.

Thanks sooo much guys.
Jeff.
you need to add a black background first of all and maybe an effect that blurs the screen a little since it kind of looks way to sharp to me!
Actual Linux penguins were harmed in the making of this message.
Antialiasing as obviously playing a big factor into how good the model will look. As for the texture filtering your method should look better than what it does. I''d suggest looking into that.
Hmm,

Well, here are the render states I am setting:

m_pd3dDevice->SetSamplerState( 0, D3DSAMP_MAGFILTER, D3DTEXF_LINEAR );
m_pd3dDevice->SetSamplerState( 0, D3DSAMP_MINFILTER, D3DTEXF_LINEAR );
m_pd3dDevice->SetSamplerState( 0, D3DSAMP_MIPFILTER, D3DTEXF_GAUSSIANQUAD );

I''m loading the textures like this:

D3DXCreateTextureFromFileEx(
m_pd3dDevice,
szTextureFilePath,
D3DX_DEFAULT,
D3DX_DEFAULT,
D3DX_DEFAULT,
D3DFMT_UNKNOWN,
D3DPOOL_MANAGED,
D3DX_DEFAULT,
D3DX_DEFAULT,
NULL,
NULL,
&m_pTexture[tempint])
//Note I use D3DX_DEFAULT for the mip mapping.

AND the window itself has these parameters:

d3dpp.Windowed = TRUE;
d3dpp.SwapEffect = D3DSWAPEFFECT_DISCARD;
d3dpp.BackBufferFormat = D3DFMT_UNKNOWN;
d3dpp.EnableAutoDepthStencil = TRUE;
d3dpp.AutoDepthStencilFormat = D3DFMT_D16;

Not sure if there is anything special I can change or any techniques that might make it look sharper.

Thanks again.
It''s called using a screen resalution higher then 640x480. The pixelations come from complex geometry in small res. Use anti aliasing, ad some lights to yoru scene, since it''s just full bright now. If you can''t figure that out on your own, I seriously suggest reading some books.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement