Weird running out of space problems

Started by
16 comments, last by Strife 19 years, 10 months ago
I tell you what, just post your root password and your ip, and I will log in and search your drive. Short of that, noone can see your disk but you. You said you can''t sort the output by size, but I (and others) already posted how you can

If you run du->sort->head and it doesn''t show you any large files, then you will just have to search manually. It is possible that you may have some errant script that is creating way too many files in a dir somewhere...

To brute force it, just go to root and do this:

#du -ah --max-depth=1

That will show you the sizes of the dirs in root. One of them will be very big. Go into that dir and run it again, one of the subdirs will be very big. Go into that subdir and run it again. I am sure you see the pattern by now...

You will soon find the problem file(s).

Advertisement
I know that, that''s basically what I''ve been doing. Please don''t treat me like someone who doesn''t know how to do anything, as I am certainly not. If someone gives me a suggestion that I didn''t know how to do already, I try it. I simply said that that specific command did nothing for me (possibly meaning I don''t have sort).

Unfortunately, I am away from my computer now for about a week, so I won''t actually be able to work on it. But hopefully I can find out what the problem is soon.
quote:Original post by Strife
I know that, that's basically what I've been doing. Please don't treat me like someone who doesn't know how to do anything, as I am certainly not.

No flame intended, just trying to help out

If someone gives me a suggestion that I didn't know how to do already, I try it. I simply said that that specific command did nothing for me (possibly meaning I don't have sort).

Possible, but highly unlikely. 'sort' is part of the same GNU coreutils package that contains 'du', so if you have one...

Anyway, I had assumed that you were having trouble with the sort command because you said you were using 'du -h'. The h flag will make the output unsortable because of the fancy human readable formatting. In order to sort, you have to be returning a set format (like bytes). So, in other words, the command line I posted should work just fine to sort the output for you. Failing that, following the directions in my last post (use a max-depth of 1) will find the problem for you!

Unfortunately, I am away from my computer now for about a week, so I won't actually be able to work on it. But hopefully I can find out what the problem is soon.

Let us know how it works out.

[edited by - grazer on May 20, 2004 10:46:10 AM]

[edited by - grazer on May 20, 2004 10:48:02 AM]
Well, I''ve finally run the sorting command, and I see that these are my biggest problems:

2278408 ./mnt/media/music
393158 ./proc
193760 ./usr/lib
172592 ./usr/portage/distfiles
169532 ./usr/lib/wine/lib/wine
159764 ./opt/OpenOffice.org/program
140144 ./mnt/media
110540 ./usr/bin
74896 ./var/log
65576 ./usr/kde/3.2/lib

The mnt directories aren''t of any concern because they are other hard drives (so unless some weird stuff happens where it thinks that the mount point / has less space because of these, it can''t be the problem). I''m a little concerned as to why /proc is so large though. Any ideas?
Nevermind. It seems that the next line down was the cache directory from Firefox. Somehow it had gotten huge, and after clearing that, things are fine O_o
I realize you've fixed the problem, but just in case...

You can probably save space by deleting stuff in /usr/portage/distfiles, since this is where all the source that portage downloads gets put

If you have a fast connection there's little point in keeping stuff there if space is an issue (you won't re-use most of the stuff), and it could at least he helpful to delete stuff that's outdated (like if you have the source for an older version of open office or kde etc)

Deleting everything in /var/tmp/portage is apparently ok too (this get's really big if open office fails to compile after 9 hours )

Careful use of emerge clean and emerge depclean (but do revdep-rebuild after) might save some space

You might also like to take a look at this: clicky though it probably won't save that much space

edit: sorry, just realised that someone else had already told you a lot of that anyway

[edited by - metal leper on May 31, 2004 8:52:02 AM]
just for the record /proc is a virtual filesystem maintained by the kernel, doesn''t actually take up space
Ah, okay. I knew it was supposed to be virtual... But it was kinda confusing me why it was so large. Fair enough.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement