Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Before I even get started...

This topic is 4962 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello All - I''m hoping somebody out there can save me some effort. I design software for machines that print things in 3D from metal powder. My current dataflow goes something like this: A Person designs a part in their 3D CAD, and exports to STL (STL is a triangle based mesh) This file is loaded into a piece of companion software and sliced into thin layers. This data is saved as a CLI file. (CLI is 2.5D file type. It gives contours and solid/void, as well as the height of the contour) I render the CLI Polylines into a Windows Bitmap thru the GDI functions. (A Memory bitmap. Nothing actually goes to the screen) I extract the data and print it. OK. I would like to migrate to something more NURBS based. I don''t know much about OpenGL, but my understanding is that it may be able to offer me something. My big question is, can I draw into some kind of OpenGL space and that is: 1) Arbitrarily Scaled 2) 2D, Monochrome 3) Have an actual bitmap from which I can extract real bits that represent a physical thickness? If this sounds confusing, please email me. I don''t want to get too far down a road where I''m learning and implementing OpenGL just to find it won''t do what I want. Thanks, Dan Brunermer dan.brunermer at extrudehone.com