Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sunandshadow

portfolio

I just finished updating my online portfolio/samples page! Clicky However, I feel like I should work on it some more. Anyone have any suggestions? (No I'm not doing @$^*& thumbnails... Sooo annoying...) edit: spelling [edited by - sunandshadow on May 17, 2004 6:40:19 PM]

that style of drawing looks familar almost like Baka Neko''s or PolyKarbon. but in any case, they look good! a few things though, the noses (for Isamu) looked "strange" to me, too much definition or something. and is that fallon.gif supposed to look that pixelated? flying nekomimi is sweeeeeeeeet! and could you finish drawing orchid? that looks like a winner also!

that''s all for now.

quote:
Original post by Alpha_ProgDes
that style of drawing looks familar almost like Baka Neko''s or PolyKarbon. but in any case, they look good! a few things though, the noses (for Isamu) looked "strange" to me, too much definition or something. and is that fallon.gif supposed to look that pixelated? flying nekomimi is sweeeeeeeeet! and could you finish drawing orchid? that looks like a winner also!

that''s all for now.

Thanks! It makes sense that my stylelooks like theirs - I''ve probably studied the same anime artists that they have, and all anime art is supposed to look somewhat similar. Nooo, fallon.gif is not supposed to be poxelated like that, I''ll get that fixed, thanks.

Interesting that you like nekomimi, he''s one of the oldest drawings on there - I was experimenting with inking (which I''ve since given up as unnecessary), and since I didn''t have a light box at that time I tried inking onto tracing paper over top of my original drawing. I personally like his pose a lot, but his anatomy especially of the abdominal muscles is not quite right. I did an acrylic painting with him hatching from an egg, a lot of fun because I used pearl and sparkle acrylic paints to get some neat effects, but unfortunately I''ve never managed to get that photographed and scanned, so I can''t show you, sorry.

Orchid seems to be everybody''s favorite - I''m not sure why. o.O I don''t like it that much because it''s very derivative, almost a copy of a sketch of the character Tomo from the Fushigi Yuugi Artbook, and I''m more proud of the characters that are more my original designs. Also, the more I look at Orchid the more I think the face is out of proportion somehow, probably too wide...

quote:
Original post by Clueless
I like roosterlizard.jpg
It is BY FAR the best one IMHO.
It almost looks as if another artist drew it ...
CONFESS!!

I definitely drew it myself! lol. I like that one too, but it's ironic that you think it's the best because it's a doodle that I did in a few minutes as part of a whole batch of animal ideas, I spent way less time and effort on it than on some of the other art on my samples page.

Also, I think it's actually quite similar to the style in which the daisy lion and some of the other drawings are done.

edit: spelling

[edited by - sunandshadow on May 18, 2004 9:02:47 PM]

Well, I''m not sure if this is what you''re looking for, but the whole presentation thing is lacking... It wouldn''t be that hard to just add a bkg color and make some 1002 thumbnails with links. Anyways, it would be a little more user-friendly!

But I like the drawings.

Orchid is a little too Egyptian for me. All of your drawings have that same kind of feel, but I like the rest a little better. Actually, I like the male ones the best. Well, I like the animals the best (cloud lion?? )

Love Facepaint...

quote:
"Who are you calling a freak, whore?"

"Who are you calling an eel, gay-boy?"

Nakago gave them both the Icy Glare of Death (tm)...

And...
quote:
"Well, what happens is, when someone’s heart gets ripped up, they panic and get real tense, wrap armor around the pieces to hold them in what used to be the right shape, but the broken edges rub each other and it just hurts them… but usually, if you can get the person to relax, the pieces will naturally realign themselves in a good way. Sometimes they need a good nudge, but relaxation is the most important thing. And I’m good at getting people to relax." I started to smile again as the innuendo occurred to me, "One might say I have good bedside manner."
...is really pretty damn good advice. Thanks...

But you have the greatest sense of humor, ever...
quote:
Mmm, mouth watering, better than any ice cream cone or lollipop… ... God he’s beautiful, and he gasps my name so sexily…
0_o

Remind me to marry you...

George

Avatar God - Egytptian, huh? Interesting. Someone else said ''geisha'', which I guess is about the same thing. Me I might call it art noveau, iconic, or heiroglyphic - well I guess that is egyptian, isn''t it? Basically I like my drawings to be slightly simplified, geometricized, symbolic rather than literal and realistic. That''s just the kind of art I like - and if you can see that in my art I guess that''s an indication that I''m succeeding. ^_^

You actually read Facepaint, huh? Cool. That''s the same style I want to write _Learning to Kiss Dragons_ in, only more organized, hopefully - the scene and chapter structure of Facepaint leave much to be desired because I mostly made it it up as I went along. I''ve been trying to get another chapter of it up before I have to go back to school in 3 weeks and I suddenly have no freetime, but I''m tuck on the ending, so it may or may not happen.

Oh, lol, and consider yourself reminded. That would be great - you could be my own personal fan club.

Now you just need to make all your own nuances like the Egyptians (hand, arm, eye, beard, et al placement meaning different things) and you''re set to go.
quote:
You actually read Facepaint, huh?
Of course! It does have a very different feel - pseudo-stream-of-consciousness, but on the part of the author... I enjoyed it, anyways.

quote:
(No I''m not doing @$^*& thumbnails... Sooo annoying...)
Annoying to do or annoying to use? You could at *least* add some color...

quote:
Oh, lol, and consider yourself reminded. That would be great - you could be my own personal fan club.
Does that mean I have to write fanfic now?

_GEo.

quote:
could you put up a comparison (basically post pictures) of Orchid and Tomo?

quote:

also are most of your drawings based on hybrids? or is this for a game you're writing?

Hybrids??? You mean anthros, the people with animal ears, tails, wings, etc? The game design I'm currently working on does have some fantasy anthro characters - I'm designing one with pinto skin at the moment. The ones on my website come from two different previous projects and another current project, one of which called for dog-like humanoid aliens and one of which calls for bird-dinosaur-like humanoid aliens. I like anthro characters because you can get human facial expressions and emotions while at the same time marking the character as clearly not human. Why do you ask?

[edited by - sunandshadow on May 21, 2004 3:57:40 PM]

i only asked because i thought you were either making (writing) a game based on anthros or just you just like drawing anthros. it was no heinous or negative reason. people draw certain characters or objects for various reasons, so i was wondering what your inspirations and/or reasons were. that''s all. it was no heinous or negative reason. don''t get all sensitive now

quote:
i only asked because i thought you were either making (writing) a game based on anthros or just you just like drawing anthros. it was no heinous or negative reason. people draw certain characters or objects for various reasons, so i was wondering what your inspirations and/or reasons were. that''s all. it was no heinous or negative reason. don''t get all sensitive now

I wasn''t offended or anything. I like drawing anthros because they''re exotic and attractive and you can convey things about their personalities using the cultural mythology we have associated with the different animals.

ok good. cuz that wasn''t my intention (to offend i mean). i hope you finish the rest of those drawings and share :D

i like drawing (well trying to draw) characters (humanoid) with weaponry or special powers.

i guess it''s because DB/DBZ and Ninja Scroll have corrupted and poisoned my mind

quote:
Original post by sunandshadow I like drawing anthros because they're exotic and attractive and you can convey things about their personalities using the cultural mythology we have associated with the different animals.
You know, I seriously swear you're Egyptian. er, Egyptian-American?

And I still think you should do thumbnails...

//edit 4. i give up. making a new post. argh!

[edited by - Avatar God on May 23, 2004 8:25:08 PM]

Rotfl I am not even close to Egyptian. I''m half German and half Italian and I look it - brown hair, brown eyes, stocky, pale, and furry. You couldn''t find anyone who''s farther from being Egyptian.

Anyway, it''s not just an Egyptian thing to ascribe personlity traits and mythological roles to animals. In modern western culture our animal mythology isn''t as obvious, but it''s there if you look, in everything from medieval bestiary books to modern sports team mascots and other advertising symbols, not to mention disney movies, children''s books, and cliche sayings. Everyone knows "curiosity killed the cat", has a relative who is "stubborn as an ass" and another who "eats like a pig", who is "vain as a peacock" or "fierce as a tiger" or "doggedly enduring"...

quote:
Original post by sunandshadow
Rotfl I am not even close to Egyptian. I''m half German and half Italian and I look it - brown hair, brown eyes, stocky, pale, and furry. You couldn''t find anyone who''s farther from being Egyptian.
0_o

...and I don''t know, my dogs are pretty damn dumb.

But seriously, I guess I don''t always think about that. No kidding on the Disney movies, etc. Ever done a personality test with characters from Winnie the Pooh? Boy, that was interesting. The owl was smart (but sarcastic), Tigger was annoyingly hyper and happy (good and bad, of course), etc.

And I just happen to like the whole Egyptian thing. That and the Romans, I don''t know why.

_GEo.

Lol, yeah, furry. Italians are known for being one of the hairiest races, and I have pcos which adds to that tendency, so I have thick fluffy hair on my head, thick eyebrows, and body hair from my elbows to my knuckles, and from about the small of my back down to my toes. Having seen some of my full Italian aunts and cousins, I count myself lucky that I don''t have a mustache, lol.

Back to art - I have a new rough sketch of Attranath! My attempt to envision an alpha male dragon:

Oh yeah, Whinnie the Pooh personality test, I remember that. I''m Gopher - "Use dynamite, save time!"

quote:
I''m Gopher - "Use dynamite, save time!"
That''s great...

Do his wings expand or are they always like that...? He''d make a pretty hot girl, too...

quote:
Original post by Avatar God
Do his wings expand or are they always like that...? He''d make a pretty hot girl, too...

They''re always like that - alpha male wings are completely featherless and covered in tough skin, they can be used to slam into somebody he''s fighting with. Maybe I should put claw/horn tips on them so they look more dangerous?

And actually the original source image I used for his face was a girl, the swimmming instructor from the anime Goldenboy.

Ah, I see. Yeah, claws would help on the, well, elbow, part of his ~wing. That''s a pretty cool piece of evolution, though... I''m curious, too, how do you have the tail attaching (if you''re ever going to draw him from the back)?

And his, uh, reproductive organs? What is that?

I really like his feet...

quote:
Original post by Avatar God
Ah, I see. Yeah, claws would help on the, well, elbow, part of his ~wing. That''s a pretty cool piece of evolution, though... I''m curious, too, how do you have the tail attaching (if you''re ever going to draw him from the back)?

And his, uh, reproductive organs? What is that?

I really like his feet...

Hmm, I was thinking more a claw at the point of the wing bone,but yeah the elbow coud probably use one too. The tail attaches like a normal dinosaur''s. The tails of the betas are more interesting because they have a fan of featherslike an archeopterix. I''m quite appy with the feet too. I''m no so sure about the calves and knees though - might be better to go more anthro and draw knees that bend the other way, like a horse''s hind leg. Maybe put a claw there also - alpha males are territorial fighting machines, it''s not too absurd to give them lots of natural weaponry.

His crotch - well, what I was _trying_ for is a sheath like a dog''s, so his dick would be inside that slit and the shaft would be along his belly up to where his belly button would be if he were a mammal. So if he were aroused he would unsheath, meaning his erection would stick out the slit. The testicles are internal, which is normal for lizards and birds. Mostly he''ll be wearing shorts, so I don''t think it matters too much, but yeah everybody I''ve shown this sketch to has been baffled by the crotch. I need to find a reference image for a sheath I guess.

For the legs, then, just bigger haunches? Oh, and reversing the joint... Just depends on how human you want him to look. You could end up with a modern day centaur. With strange wings. I just can''t get over the wings...

I just see the every day version, you know, with feathers or at least batlike, i guess. Armoring them would at least make them look stronger (conventional wings would break in a fight, I imagine). Plus, it''ll look cool. And put claws in both places!

Have you, by any chance, drawn a beta (And scanned it)? I''d like to see that, sounds interesting!

quote:
Original post by sunandshadow His crotch - well, what I was _trying_ for is a sheath like a dog's, so his dick would be inside that slit and the shaft would be along his belly up to where his belly button would be if he were a mammal. So if he were aroused he would unsheath, meaning his erection would stick out the slit. The testicles are internal, which is normal for lizards and birds. Mostly he'll be wearing shorts, so I don't think it matters too much, but yeah everybody I've shown this sketch to has been baffled by the crotch. I need to find a reference image for a sheath I guess.
What kind of dog do *you* have?

//edit... or is my dog just always horny?

[edited by - Avatar God on May 28, 2004 12:00:29 AM]

First of all I am no good artist YET myself my drawings are OK but not GOOD, YET. And I DO NOT MEAN TO OFFEND YOU IN ANY WAY OR BE NEGATIVE, sorry if it looks that way. But you asked what people thought here is what I think. Dont hate me

It depends what it is for, if you define this as a serious portfolio then its lacking. Its lacking in presentation, but first of all its lacking in your drawings itself, and your linework, and your knowledge of what you draw. If you want to get serious in what you do, this is the advice you will here. Cause Ive heard it to myself all the time.

Learn to start drawing all over, first off all buy books, fotos reference of bones, and it structure, and the skeleton itself. Learn to draw this, study it study it good.

IF/WHEN you are reasonbly good at that start with the muscles, learn where they connect, what they do, how they deform and theyre place on the bones. This is crucial for anatomical correct drawing of proportions and muscle structure.

IF/WHEN you are good at that, then start doing poses, and start studying anatomy this goes for manga styles the like, it doesnt matter. IF you will do this, your drawing will increase to a point you have never seen I promise you.. Start at the basics, start down and you can only go up.

I really hope I did not offend anyone or this is not meant as a flame but as a serious advice if you want to want to get good at you do, start early dont waste time like me, this is the advice I got I hope it was of some help.

Sorry and accept my humble apologies if I offended you, I can see by your drawings that you have potential you already CAN draw, the advice was only if you would like to get busy, and get serious, for if you wanted to improve. Otherwise do what feels best, and this post was not meant to demotivate you but the exact opposite.

P.S. If you would like to I could show some examples on how I started from scratch, but only if you would find it helpfull,

[edited by - Jamaludin on June 1, 2004 5:56:43 PM]