portfolio

Started by
30 comments, last by sunandshadow 19 years, 10 months ago
Your work has improved since the inital attepts, but the anatomy on the figures is still quite problematic...

First and foremost, if you have a creature walking upon it''s toes like that, you won''t have an elongated leg, like a human. The stress on the calf is immense and overtime it leads to a shortening of the achilles tendon (kendo practicioners and women who wear a lot of high-heel shoes can tell you about the intial effects of this). To properly support their weight and give them good mobility, the thigh should be bulkier and the lower leg (before the ankle joint) should be shortened. Take a look at a dog''s rear leg to get some idea how it''s constructed and it should make a pretty accurate model.

Next, try to remember that the formation of a wing, and particularily a skinned, bat-like wing, is based on an arm with an elongated hand. The two claws that jut from the apex of a bat''s wing are actually it''s thumb and pointer finger...the rest of it''s fingers are bent at the wrist and incredibly elongated. The membrane of the wing is basically like an extension of the webbing bewteen your fingers.

A birds wing lacks "fingers," but is still constructed in three parts, like an arm. The hand area is fused into a single long bone for the last segment of the wing. The end of the wing has seven primary feathers that radiate along the length of the tip and look kind of like fingers when they''re extended.

Finally, your eyeline on the heads is a little high. The eyes should fall about half way between the crown of the head and the chin.

I hope this helps some, and in any case keep up the drawing! Practice doesn''t make perfect, but it will make you better. If you ever did reach perfection, things wouldn''t be fun anymore....
Advertisement
well i will offer my critisizm, but i wont apologize for any offence i may cause from it. if you have any hopes of ever working as a profesional, rule one: do NOT be offended by constructive critisism.
On the up side you have great imagination, you are inovative and have an interest in creating new anatomy for your characters, but more importantly, you also seem to show an interest in studying REAL anatomy! just that alone will carry you to greatness. most illustrators have a deep set hate for studying anatomy.
On the downside, I have to agree with the other poster who said you need to learn to draw all over again. you work, from what i can tell, with just drawing ouline to outline. and that is the exact oposite of what you should be doing. you should be working with spheres, spine lines or "life lines" to show gesture, movement, and most importantly, form. Im not sure how old you are, but if you are over 18 i highly recoment enrolling in a life or figure drawing class at your local Junior College. I guarintee by the end of one semester you will have fanominal improvement in your work and you will hide away all of the drawings currently on your site. I know this because i have been the same way for the past 4 yrs, after every semester I hide away whatever i thought was my best work a few months before. But, you will only improve if you listen to the teachers, and apply what you learn in books.
I think you have alot of potentual and drive to do great things, keep with it, LISTEN! and LEARN! from your teachers. i wasted alot of time myself thinking i knew better. but when i sat down and applied what they were saying my work improved.

good luck! keep with it!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement