tools and kits

Started by
5 comments, last by ESBrennan21 19 years, 11 months ago
wut kinds of apps would someone who is thinkin of startin out on independant gamin need (modeller, sound editor, etc.) n wut do u think is the best FREE product 4 each catergory? thanks -eb
Advertisement
well i dont think that there are any free good products but there are products like milkshape3d instead of 3dsmax for graphics modeling, paint shop pro instead of photoshop, and there are progs like goldwave for sound and thats about it but those are very simple to utilize compared to making a game... I hope you realize what your trying to do, especially if you never had any programming experience before.. did you do any programming or designing before? what kind of math knowledge do you have?
Actual Linux penguins were harmed in the making of this message.
i would say i hav an intermediate knowledge in math....i hav made a few mods b4 for various games (maps 4 halo pc, partial mods 4 hl) n i thought it would b nice to experiment with something where i would get to express n original idea, not n extension of someone elses (dont get me wrong, i love many games out on the market) i hav a basic understandin of programmin languages n a thourough understandin in web-based scripting (php, mysql, asp, n such) but i dont know if that will help. i would appreciate any further feedback however if u believe that it is an unrealistic undertakin i understand.

-eb
also, i hav heard about opengl as an alternative 2 directx...wut would i hav 2 download 2 try that out? do you kno any good tutorials?

-eb
Before you can use OpenGL or DirectX you''re going to have to learn a programming language to make your game with, which can take monthes/years before you learn the language, let alone be able to make a game.
quote:Original post by snyp
well i dont think that there are any free good products but there are products like milkshape3d instead of 3dsmax for graphics modeling...
Blender, Wings3D, Anim8tor, to name three.

quote:...paint shop pro instead of photoshop...
The GIMP.

quote:...and there are progs like goldwave for sound...
I've forgotten quite a few sound apps, but they're out there.

[Edit: Formatting snafu.]

[edited by - Oluseyi on May 17, 2004 8:38:24 PM]
Audacity Sound Editor
Quote:Michael TanczosCut that shit out. You shouldn't be spying on other people.. especially your parents. If your dad wanted to look at horses having sex with transexual eskimo midgets, that's his business and not yours.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement