php rpg programming begineer

Started by
12 comments, last by DKN 19 years, 11 months ago
I have been studying php for awhile and I want to start making rpg games with php. I have looked at some rpg''s written in php and can grasp what the code is doing. But each and every rpg is written differently of course. So now I want to start my own, but I need some kind of guide to start me off, like telling me how to load a map, x and y coordinates, how to go up, down, left, right, going from one map to another, walking in a store, events happening and once I get the hang of it I can do the rest on my own. So far I made tables for certain variables, like a map and its coordinates, tiles, quests, events, player stats, and so forth. Is there any guide out there that can help me in some way?
Advertisement
PHP probably isn''t the right thing for what you have in mind. Walking around on a map via PHP is probably the worse thing you could do, PHP being server-side. This means every step you''d have to load a new page. Slow, bandwidth-costly, and inefficient.

Use Java.
I want to do php. The ones I played like quest mod, moogie''s mod, and all those are quite fun.
It''s just text right? What exactly do you want to make...
Its not just text, there are graphics too. Right now I just want to create a simple turn base rpg. It contains a map, tiles, npcs, objects, items and users. First everything(users, map, titles, items, and so forth) loads in a window. You can go to other maps by stepping on a certain tile that will take you to another map(a button appears asking if you want to go to the other map). You can't walk into(meaning you can't step on them) a npc, object, item, and other users. This is basically all I want to do right now. I want to start off small and work my way up.

[edited by - DKN on May 17, 2004 8:42:57 PM]

[edited by - DKN on May 17, 2004 8:54:55 PM]
Could you show us an actual exemple of the kind of PHP game you want to create?
If it''s something like outwar I could understand it. But it sounds like a tilebased isometric RPG because you''re not being specific enough. PHP is usually used for submission pages and forums, and occasionaly fire-and-forget online games (that''s what I call ''em, games where stuff happens on an hourly bases, and a lot of waiting for instance). Anyway, Java sounds like what you''re looking for like someone else said - but flash and shockwave would work too if you don''t mind paying money.
here its sorta will be like this rpg http://mods.best-dev.com/ftopic983.php, but I don't want to be a copy catter and it will be the same like that one. So I want my coding to be different and have my own unique things.

[edited by - DKN on May 17, 2004 9:13:06 PM]
I tried something like this in ASP once. It was far too limiting and was a lot of work for little reward. I would suggest you try another solution like Director''s Multiuser Server or the new Flash equivalent.
Well I''m just going to stick with studying plain old php and not worry about that rpg mod, but what should I start to learn to make something like www.ragnarokonline.com, but have it 2-d and turn base like pokemon gameboy games and such.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement