Visual C++ .NET vs Visual C#

Started by
23 comments, last by BKStoltman 19 years, 11 months ago
Sorry, but compiling to bytecode vs. compiling to ASM is always going to favor C++ in terms of performance.

There should be no question as to which performs faster. Only an idiot would say that C++ isn''t faster performing than C#.

The real question is whether or not it''s a significant enough difference to justify staying with C#.

---------------------------Hello, and Welcome to some arbitrary temporal location in the space-time continuum.

Advertisement
quote:Original post by Etnu
Sorry,

Apology not accepted.
quote:
but compiling to bytecode vs. compiling to ASM is always going to favor C++ in terms of performance.

Why? Disregarding initial JITting costs, which are amortized to ~0 for any non-trivial application anyway, there is no theoretical reason why a JITted application couldn''t outperform a statically compiled one.
--AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.[Project site] [IRC channel] [Blog]
Putting aside the JIT issues, what about pointers?

I have little experience in C++ but is there something that can be done with C++ pointers than is practically impossible with C#''s refrence types, delegates ... etc?
quote:Original post by Hantu

I have little experience in C++ but is there something that can be done with C++ pointers than is practically impossible with C#'s refrence types, delegates ... etc?

Hundreds of things... 99% of them bad. I've only started learning C# and it looks like a really nice language. The only thing that bugs me is the lack of const methods. The ability to be a total const-nazi is one of C++'s strengths IMHO.

quote:Original post by Arild Fines
Apology not accepted.

Arild, I agree with you wrt JIT and I think you generally post good replies, but you need to lay off the caffeine.

[edited by - ChaosEngine on May 19, 2004 4:16:48 AM]
if you think programming is like sex, you probably haven't done much of either.-------------- - capn_midnight
quote:Original post by Hantu

I have little experience in C++ but is there something that can be done with C++ pointers than is practically impossible with C#''s refrence types, delegates ... etc?

If you manage to do so, the code itself will probably also be impossible to understand, even for the programmer.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement