Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OrangyTang

GeForce FX 5200

I''ve got an oppertunity to take someones FX 5200 off their hands in exchange for a bit of hardware thats no use to me (wireless LAN card). I''m already using a GF 4 Ti so its probably not going to be any faster, however it''d be nice to tinker with some of the newer, fancier pixel shaders. However I''ve not idea what the actual specs are, what kind of new extensions is it likely to give me?

quote:
I'm already using a GF 4 Ti so its probably not going to be any faster

HA! UNDERSTATEMENT OF THE CENTURY! Just FYI, keep your current card, you'd be replacing a 747 with a paper airplane.

[edited by - Vampyre_Dark on May 18, 2004 7:27:01 AM]

quote:
Original post by OrangyTang
However I''ve not idea what the actual specs are, what kind of new extensions is it likely to give me?

well, the good thing: it has most of the features youd expect from a fx.
the bad thing: its far too slow to really USE those features and will probably make your gf4 look like a jet at mach3 in comparison.

so, if you want it for playing: dont.
if you just want to program with all the neat features: do it.

Official specs. If you are a registered nVidia developer, I recommend downloading the official FX programming guide to max the performance of your card.
Note that especially on advanced pixel shaders the 5200 is extremely slow (but every bit as flexible as it''s "bigger brothers").

Do some test drives on custom sampling techniques - the card has unlimited texture read count on PS2a profile, for example. Also, see the FAQ on how to enable floating-point textures, they are very fun to play with and are generally cool

-Nik

I traded my gf4ti 4400 for a geforce 5700 ultra ( nv36 ), which is about a wash performance wise. A 5200 will be significantly slower.

The problem is you are trading a high-end enthusiast card for a very low-end mainstream card.

The high-end cards from the previous generation will still continue to be faster than the next generation''s low-end card.