Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jbb

Model format to load

I''m just looking for opinions here if this is the right thing to do: I got caligari gamespace for designing some models for 3d stuff (just as a hobby for playing about with some graphics stuff) and want to load the models into a 3d program in c++. I''ve looked at the various model formats and think that rather than write a complicated loader in c++ my best bet it to take something like the .X format that gamespace outputs and preprocess it into a more suitable format using a python program and load that. All I need is a vertex list with X, Y, Z coordinates, normal, texture U,V coordinates and which texture to use for each vertex and then a triangle list containing sets of 3 vertexes for each triangle. It seems a lot easier to take the text of a .X file and process it in python to be a simple binary format containing the data above which I can load in C++ almost directly into memory. I''m not interested in animation for this project. I''m looking for comments and experience. Is this a good idea? Or would I do better to bite the bullet and write a full general purpose model loader?

It''s always easier to write importing and/or exporting code of your own filetype, if you know exactly what variables you need that would be the easiest solution. I used my own filetype to test a program of mine and i like it because it didn''t cost much time to write and it was exactly what i needed at that moment.