Upgrading to what language?

Started by
41 comments, last by DrGUI 19 years, 11 months ago
quote:Original post by DrGUI
Why should we need to use pointers anyway? Surely compilers should be able to do a better job making code use pointers than any programmer could do on their own.

Because that would take power from the programmer.
In my opinion, pointers are a requirement if you want to be able to set up advanced data structures or do low level programming. Pointers are not only very useful, but also extremely powerful and I do not know how I ever got along without them (and no, I don''t over use them).
Also, try writing an operating system or device driver (or any low level piece of code) without pointers

Advertisement
quote:
I do not know how I ever got along without them (and no, I don''t over use them).

Maybe the languages you used before were simply not powerful enough? I mean, use Common Lisp and you''ll wonder why you ever needed pointers.
I read these articles a while ago, if you have not read them, you should. They rock! I have not got the links because my family have pay-as-you-go dial-up so I saved them into Word documents.
In no particular order (actually alphabetical):

Performance Optimization in Visual Basic .NET
Performance Optimizations
Performance Tips and Tricks in .NET Applications
Writing Faster Managed Code - Knowing What Things Cost
Writing Faster Visual Basic .NET Applications
Writing High-Performance Managed Applications - A Primer

Someone said bytecode will never be as fast as native, but remember the JIT only compiles each function/procedure (to native) once! The JIT is also expected to get faster in future versions and with M$''s deal with Sun, it could inline implementations and virtual functions!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement