File format

Started by
2 comments, last by ageny6 19 years, 11 months ago
Let''s be blunt: Is there a file format for 3D meshes that stores information in this manner? Point1: x1,y1,z1 Point2: x2,y2,z2 Point3: x3,y3,z3 Point4: x4,y4,z4 ... ... Face1: Point1,Point3,Point2 Face2: Point1,Point2,Point4,Point3 ... ... If so, what tool can be used to create this file? Are there any freewares? Thanks My signature used to suck. But it''s much better and more accurate now.
My signature used to suck. But it's much better and more accurate now.
Advertisement
You will not find a single format that is that simple that''s widely used. It''s just not enough info.

You can create your own exporter tool, however, for most 3d apps (Max, Maya, etc.)

---------------------------Hello, and Welcome to some arbitrary temporal location in the space-time continuum.

The Wavefront OBJ file format is very similar to what you want. AC3D or 3D Studio ASC might also be similar, and you can try parsing text format .X files as well, although that could get messy. See this site for some documents explaining common formats.

As for a free modeller, try Blender or Anim8or. Blender is very powerful and can do almost anything you need, but it has a steep learning curve (you really need to do he tutorials). However, there are many import/export scripts for it (including Wavefront OBJ; check the website I linked to, under Python Scripts), and it's also very easy to modify a script and write your own custom export format in Python (I made such a script with no prior knowledge of Python in about 30 minutes). Anim8or is apparently easier to use, but less powerful. It exports OBJ, and it can also export to C code actually (the code just initializes some point and mesh structures), if you're desperate to just get some model on the screen. There are also other modellers, such as GMAX or Caligari gameSpace Lite, which is linked right in the top news post on www.gamedev.net.

[edited by - Matei on May 18, 2004 1:06:59 PM]

[edited by - Matei on May 18, 2004 1:08:01 PM]
quote:Original post by ageny6
Is there a file format for 3D meshes that stores information in this manner?

Point1: x1,y1,z1
Point2: x2,y2,z2

Face1: Point1,Point3,Point2

It looks like a VTK file. It''s a free scientific Visualization ToolKit, with source code available. BUT I''ve never seen it been used on games.

Ricardo, Brazil.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement