Create Models and Texture them For Free using Voxels!

Started by
3 comments, last by NatasDM 19 years, 11 months ago
Lewey Geselowitzs, better know for the QuakeII Magic Eye MOD has created a voxel editor (actually before the mod). The voxel editor allows you to etch away at a volume to create a character. You can also use silhouette bitmaps to cut away at the volume and fine tune it from there. Recently, I converted a marching cubes based program to convert the voxel file into a DirectX mesh file. Meaning once you create and edit your mesh you will be able to:
  • Import it into any program that supports DirectX Mesh files (.x)
  • Add UV coordinates for Texturing with LithUnwrap(free)
  • Paint it using Tattoo (free for non comercial)
Also, I wrote some converters to convert the mesh to OFF (object File Format) so you can load it into OpenGL and RAW (raw triangles) format. Soon to also have VRML support! Check It Out!
Advertisement
I''ll give you points for the kewlness factor, though the tool seems to be a bit too imprecise for actual game modeling work. Still, I think it''s a nifty idea. I could see something like this becoming the eventual successor of polygonal graphics -- But not until CPU speeds dramatically improve and GPUs follow suit.

Good work!

---
- 2D/Pixel Artist - 3D Artist - Game Programmer - Ulfr Fenris
[[ Gaping Wolf Software ]] [[ GameGenesis Forums ]]
--- - 2D/Pixel Artist - 3D Artist - Game Programmer - Ulfr Fenris[[ Gaping Wolf Software ]] [[ GameGenesis Forums ]]
VSabers power comes in a large part from it''s "imprecise"ness. As graphics engines become more complex the problem of adding details and realism into the world is becoming harder and harder. If we use alot of "precise" tools we end up with cold and rigid shapes that look fake. However because this is more of a free hand tool, it automatically gives that certain natural "bent" to all it''s models. Plus, the idea is that you rough out the model in under a minute in VSaber, then use these great mesh tools to create a 3D mesh which you can then tweak (in a polygon editor) and use in your game or animation. The point is that trying out new ideas and prototyping is alot easier when it''s a flick of your wrist and you''re not painstakingly moving triangles around, and this is vitally important to the design process.
-Lewey

P.S. I will admit that I''m a little biased, as I wrote VSaber.
It''s really really hard to create a good looking model with VSaber, but I definetly like the concept. I don''t have much in the way of a traditional art background, so this might explain why using it isn''t very natural to me. I feel like I have a greater amount of control when modeling by manipulating vertices, but I guess that is the main reason you''d WANT to use VSaber. I like the idea of chiseling away at a block of something, it seems almost like making a sculpture. I''ll probably play with it when I''m bored and see if I can learn to use it better. It definetly is a snap to pick up, that''s for sure.
Peon
Hey, Try ImpView from the same site. It lets you use implicit equations to model and save and then you can open them back up in VSaber and edit then some more.

My favorite is the Tie Fighter implicit equation.

I thought it was great to get a model of that quality out of a math equation and into Mesh form.

Honestly I''m not a modeler either, I''m a programmer. Once I figure out a way to sub divide models and animate them, I''m good to go.

Also, I don''t want to ruin anything, but there might be something in store down the road that will allow model creation to go really fast and to be really precise.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement