Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

psamty10

Asset Management / SCM systems

Just wondering if anyone out here has used Alienbrain and/or Perforce for their projects... we're currently evaluating Asset Management tools at work, and Alienbrain looks pretty good; but my initial concern is whether AB is any better than CVS at source control (considering its so expensive, we'd need a damn good reason to purchase it!!)...? [edited by - psamty10 on May 18, 2004 12:27:14 PM]

Guest Anonymous Poster
CVS has its limits, and anything else (except VSS) is a step up. But if CVS is working for you, why switch?

I haven''t used AlienBrain so I can''t say anything about it. I''ve used Perforce and it is better suited than CVS for multiple interdependent projects. However, like CVS, it is optimized for text, not binary.

If cost is a big issue, you should consider Subversion. I''ve never used it, but there are a lot of fans here and I''m sure they will post very soon.

Thanks for the insight AP. Im still waiting for those subversion fans to start hammering me . I have heard a lot of good stuff about Perforce of late. Also, cost isn''t a huge issue as long as the software is worth its salt...

Well, I''ve just started using Monotone (http://www.venge.net/monotone/) for my personal projects, and it''s pretty darned great. It''s a fully distributed system with no "central repository" like CVS or Subversion. It''s still in heavy development, though, and there''s no GUI yet.
For other options and a (somewhat old - it doesn''t know about Monotone''s new netsync protocol) feature comparison, check out the Better SCM Initiative at http://better-scm.berlios.de/

quote:
Original post by psamty10
Im still waiting for those subversion fans to start hammering me .

Actually... I wouldn''t use Subversion for something like this until they implement locking. If what you''re working on is primarily binary files, which I assume "assets" imply, the lack of the ability to put exclusive locks on files makes Subversion a poor choice. The copy-modify-merge solution works *great* for mergeable text files such as source code, but not so well for binary files.

Locking support is expected in Subversion 1.1, though.

--
AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.
[Project site] [Blog] [RSS] [Browse the source] [IRC channel]