Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cone surface triangulation

This topic is 4960 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

hi all Give me some hints, how to triangulate cone surface. Im also interested in how to find cylinder, torus triangulation. Maybe is a generic algorithm. lekki

My choice:
Use coordinates that fit to your geometry: (height, angle) for cylinders and cones, (angle1, angle2) for tori. Dividing the surface into quads or triangles becomes quite easy, then (quad ((h,a), (h+dh,a), (h+dh, a+da), (h, a+da)) for cylinders, for example).

the generic solution:

find a good parametric representation of your surface, most probably in 2 coordinates since its a surface, and then just create an equally spaced grid of quads, mapping its position to 3d using your parametric representation.

so for example a sphere:

parametric representation in u and v:
x=cos(u)*cos(v)*r
y=sin(u)*cos(v)*r
z=sin(v)*r

loop through domain of u with given stepsize
loop through domain of v with given stepsize
create vertex at (x(u,v),y(u,v),z(u,v))
connect the vertices with triangles.

For spheres there is also another option that works with subdividing a tetrahedron. I´ve written a post here not too long ago about that and if I remember correctly oliii even had some example sourcecode demonstrating that method (though he didn´t start with a tetrahedron but that´s not the important point for the method).

EDIT: You can also apply the subdivision to other geometries like cylinders which should be quite straightforward.

[edited by - Atheist on May 18, 2004 5:57:49 PM]

"For spheres there is also another option that works with subdividing a tetrahedron. I´ve written a post here not too long ago about that and if I remember correctly oliii even had some example sourcecode demonstrating that method (though he didn´t start with a tetrahedron but that´s not the important point for the method)."

This is the method I use for general ellipsoids. I start with a regular unit octohedron, and then recursively subdivide each face into four new faces. Normalizing all the vertices then transforms it into a unit sphere, and multiplying them by the radius vector transforms it into an ellipse of the proper size.

Another way to triangulate a cone would be to create an orthonormal basis from the origin and the direction vector. Then iterate from 0 to 2pi in some increment and multiply the sin and cos times the local x and y axes to get your circle points. Your other point is simply the origin plus the direction vector. Triangulation is then straightforward.