Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

lifeless

Loading and Displaying a Bitmap

Is there anything remotely similar to Loading a Bitmap or any image of any type in openGL?. I know I could display it with glOrtho2D, but I need to know if I can load it first thanks for your help!.

You will need to load the texture first, then set it up. Im not too good with the old texture loading. But www.gametutorials.com have a great .TGA loader. Try that...

-----------

"Here lies a toppled God,
His fall was not a small one,
We but built his pedastle,
A narrow, and a tall one"
Frank Herbert (Dune:Messiah)

[edited by - Kris2456 on May 18, 2004 5:53:10 PM]

Of course you can load a bitmap. Stop by www.wotsit.org for the bitmap file format and then make your own loader.
I''ve made a .bmp, a .tga and a .obj loader from scratch using their documents as the only source of information.

Yah, I''ve been messing with the various graphics formats lately myself. Here''s a link for all you need to know to load BMP files specifically to get you started (they''re real easy): BMP Specification

~Urayami

ofcourse you could always uses one of the many free file loaders around :

For those who like the C way of doing things we have DevIL.
For those of more of a C++ inclination we have Corona.
I''ve used both of them myself at various stages and have even submitted code back to Corona for JPG saving

One i havent used but i have seen mentioned by numerous people is FreeImage

Hey guys, thank you very much!!, to all of you, actually the info about how to load a Bitmap was exactly what i was looking for, but i couldnt find it on the net, I always found MFC classes or stuff like that, but the specification on how to create my own loader suits me better.

Thank you!

p.s. also if I get tired and I cant write the code myself, I can use phantom''s sugestions, thank you.