stupid teacher... (is this true??)

Started by
65 comments, last by graveyard filla 19 years, 11 months ago
high, my programming teacher (complete moron, i correct his mistakes in class on a daily basis), is telling me i should change my naming style from this: Class_Name { } Function_Name(); to this: className { } functionName(); hes telling me "dis is dah industree standud" (his accent). is this really the industry standard? or is he full of shit like usual? i think this way is very ugly and harder to read, also, is there even a industry standard for naming conventions? im thinking NO, and even if there is, wouldt it be this: Cxxxxxx you know, a C in front of the class names? ive seen a lot of people here post example code using this.. and if anything this makes more sence... but im pretty sure my teacher hasnt even heard of Cetc (ive literally taught this idiot more stuff about programming then i have learned in class.. ie how to use c_str().. also, he doesnt even know how to use the debugger or how to even find errors... one day in class he stared right at the "missing semicolon" for literally 20 minutes before i couldnt take it anymore.... my classmates are all struggling with learning the basics, so i feel dumber when i leave that class...
FTA, my 2D futuristic action MMORPG
Advertisement
the standards I learned are:
class ClassName {
private:
int mMember;
public:
ClassName();
~ClassName();
void someMethod();
};

the classname should not necesseraly start with C.
It should have a usefull simple an dclear name.
same for methods though.
There is no industry standard for this kind of thing. I''ve seen just about every combination of naming scheme imaginable in different companies. To get some idea of the different ways things like this can be specified you might want to look at this page.
quote:Original post by graveyard filla
my programming teacher (complete moron, i correct his mistakes in class on a daily basis)...
This is a bad habit. Stop it. Even if you know more, respect the position and authority of teacher and discuss with him outside/after the class - unless he defers to you.

quote:hes telling me "dis is dah industree standud" (his accent). is this really the industry standard?
There is no industry standard. Camelcase (camelCase) is the recommendation for Java, but C++ has a heritage in old C programs where the underscore is used to separate words and all identifiers are completely lowercase (take a look at the standard library for proof).

Nevertheless, change it for his class. If you get a job at a company, they''ll give you a template you must conform to, so you might as well get used to following instructions you don''t necessarily agree with.
Symbol naming schemes, as with indentation styles, are religious issues. There is no ''industry standard'' - though I believe that style is the Java ''standard'' style.

Just ignore him, but, whatever else you do, don''t use the "Hungarian Notation" - it is unadulterated evil.

“Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it.” — Brian W. Kernighan
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan
There is no "industry standard." Every company you work for will probably have their own coding format to which every programmer follows. In other words, be flexible with your style. As for your teacher, that is not uncommon among high school programming teachers. If the teachers were as good as they make you believe, they wouldn''t be teaching, they would be doing.
quote:Original post by Oluseyi
This is a bad habit. Stop it. Even if you know more, respect the position and authority of teacher and discuss with him outside/after the class - unless he defers to you.

yes but, have you ever had to sit in a programming class, where all the students were complete newbies, and so was the teacher? and the teacher just sits there, and EVERYDAY he teaches at least one BAD programming practise. he teaches bad practises all the time... everyday.. i usualyl just sit there and keep it to myself, angry about how crappy my school is... but sometimes i raise my hand and say "well professer, isnt it suposed to be like this..."

usually he will say "dats dee cuming attraktion".... but hes full of shit. there is no coming attraction. he will never bring it up again, or he will, but he will never correct himself.. its so irritating.. you guys really have no idea how bad my school is... my first semester of CIS, the teacher was even worse... the first day of us actually writing a c++ program (hello world), he couldnt get it to compile. yes, im not lying here people. my professor couldnt get a hello world program to compile. in fact, when he first started visual studio 6, he clicked on new-> c++ source, and named it "helloworld.h".. HE NAMED IT .H!!! a cpp file!! then, he tried writing the "hello world" program, but couldnt!! he was getting errors, and couldnt fix it!! HE ACTUALLY TOLD US TOMMOROW HE WOULD HAVE THE ANSWER TO THE PROBLEM!! IT TOOK US 2 DAYS IN CLASS TO EVEN GET HELLO WORLD TO COMPILE!!!!

(it was also my first time writing a c++ program, just like the rest of the class, and probably the teacher too. i honestly dont even think that teacher knew how to program... he read everything from the book and copied it on the board.. i remember him telling us "try to write nested if statements without a flow chart!! go ahead, you wont be able to do it!!!"

im sorry for the caps, but it really is something to scream about. im paying 5200$ dollars a semester (same as harvard) and my teacher couldnt even write a hello world program... its sickening, really...

[edited by - graveyard filla on May 18, 2004 6:31:34 PM]
FTA, my 2D futuristic action MMORPG
quote:
ClassName
{
}

functionName();

That''s what I use, but it''s entirely by personal preference. I capitalize the first letter of my ADTs just to differentiate them from those from any libraries I may be using.

quote:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Original post by graveyard filla
my programming teacher (complete moron, i correct his mistakes in class on a daily basis)...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

quote:
hes telling me "dis is dah industree standud" (his accent). is this really the industry standard?

There is no industry standard. Camelcase (camelCase) is the recommendation for Java, but C++ has a heritage in old C programs where the underscore is used to separate words and all identifiers are completely lowercase (take a look at the standard library for proof).

Nevertheless, change it for his class. If you get a job at a company, they''ll give you a template you must conform to, so you might as well get used to following instructions you don''t necessarily agree with.

I agree with this.

When you find yourself in the company of a halfling and an ill-tempered Dragon, remember, you do not have to outrun the Dragon...
Without order nothing can exist - without chaos nothing can evolve.
couple suggestions:

assuming this is college: try to get permission to skip the intro class. you seem to know the basic stuff already, and if that's the case, it's a waste of your time. though the course books _always_ say that certain classes are pre-requisites for others, i've yet to find a department that won't let you skip classes if you make your case to the head of the department.

if it's not actually possible for you to skip the class for whatever reason, the best you can do is just grin and bear it. who cares if what he's teaching is retarded (outside of the "i'm paying for this" thing... ), just get through the class and move on to the next one next semester. i've had classes like this, probably most of us have. the best you can do is get out of the class, the second best you can do is just take it. making enemies with a teacher is a good way for people in the department in general to start disliking you and then either giving you bad grades or not giving you breaks (like skipping classes for instance). and think of it as real world training. a decent percentage of managers are just like this teacher. certainly you'll at least have a co-worker like this. learning how to deal with it is the hardest thing i had to do coming out of college and not knowing how to deal with it gracefully very nearly got me fired in my first couple jobs.

good luck.

-me

[edited by - Palidine on May 18, 2004 6:41:22 PM]
quote:Original post by graveyard filla
yes but, have you ever had to sit in a programming class, where all the students were complete newbies, and so was the teacher?
No, I haven''t.

I have been in a class where the majority of students were newbies (300-level), but the professor was excellent. He was also tough and fair. And on one day when the class failed to complete assignments and incurred his wrath, he walked out on us. That was the last time my classmates failed to complete an assignment.

If your school''s so bad, transfer. There''s really nothing else to it, particularly at that price. I sympathize, but that doesn''t excuse the attitude. Rules are rules; institutions are institutions. If you''re unwilling to uphold the rules of the institution, leave.

I''m not sure whether you''re in high school, in which case I''d recommend skipping programming classes entirely; I honestly think there''s no point. AP credit only gets you out of one or two classes anyway. Better to learn on your own at home and save the formal instruction for when you get to go to a good school. I did, and it was great.

If you''re in college, transfer. Now!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement