anyone using shaders YET?

Started by
11 comments, last by angrytofu 19 years, 11 months ago
Okay, I''m not really uber-experienced at all with shaders, but I''m guessing that with shaders v3.0 and whatever comes later (especially when GPUs are basically highly parallelized CPUs, what with virtual memory and fully supported conditional statements and arbitrarily long shaders), shaders will be able to be highly customizable by artists, without a great deal of programming knowledge, because programmers will be able to write very generalized shaders, with lots of parameters that artists can tweak without getting their hands too messy. Of course, I''ll still have fun playing with the math, but that''s just me.
"We should have a great fewer disputes in the world if words were taken for what they are, the signs of our ideas only, and not for things themselves." - John Locke
Advertisement
Hiya,

Take a look at OGRE (http://www.ogre3d.org). That supports shaders. Read more about it at the site and how it does it.

You will need to write the material files - but there are loads of examples (normal mapping in Cg, bump mapping, cel-shading, and other shaders). Again look on the website.
Pretty much all new PC and XBox games have engines that make some use of shaders. Hobbyist programmers have been messing around with shaders for years. Like it''s been mentioned, many Opensource engines also have shaders support now. The Torque Engine also has (or will have) an extensive shader library, and is well within the budget of indy and amateur game developers.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement