Book Recommendations

Started by
4 comments, last by JoHnOnIzEr 19 years, 11 months ago
I was just awarded a 15 dollar gift certificate to barns n noble. Now that I have some money ^-^, I''m planning on buying a c++ book. My problem is, I am not a complete beginner at this because I am taking a class in school. However, its only an introductory class and moves slow (I am actually a few chapters ahead of the rest of the class). Since I am not a complete noob at this, I''m not sure what book I should get. I''m just trying to get a head start on next year in school. I have checked the For Beginner''s section already, but I want to see what other options I have.
Sidra Headquarters
Game engine is currently at version 0.9.8! Currently Down
Advertisement
I got the C++ Primer Plus 4th edition and it's doin me good so far. I only have two semi problems with it:

1.It's a big investment, so if you arn't sure you want to get into C++ get a cheaper book. I absolutely new I wanted to be a game programmer, so I got the best I could afford.

2.It doesn't give you the answers to the excercises, anywhere, in the book. Some of them even ask you to do things using concepts in later chapters/not in the book at all. Of course, this means doing some extra research, but you'd end up doing it anyway at some point.

Other than that it's really good, and only semi-technical. It throws in a little humor here and there, but it's not "informal". If you want just a pure reference book get The C++ Programming Language 3rd edition.

[edited by - Ceoddyn on May 18, 2004 10:22:46 PM]
I heard good things about Accelerated C++. You might also want to check out ''Thinking in C++''. You can find it online, it''s free. Also check out this site: http://www.accu.org/bookreviews/public/index.htm
what kinds of things does each of those books cover?
Sidra Headquarters
Game engine is currently at version 0.9.8! Currently Down
Would it really be so hard to go to Amazon and look them up?

Former Microsoft XNA and Xbox MVP | Check out my blog for random ramblings on game development

I would recommend C++ Primer (don''t mean Primer Plus) and "The C++ programming language special edition by Bjarne Stroustrup" indispensable guide/reference to the language and suited to someone with some exprince of programming already

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement