dx 8.1b and 9

Started by
10 comments, last by vray 19 years, 11 months ago
I understand that once you install ver 9 you can''t go back to 8.1b I don''t know if this includes the sdk? I have a desk top computer with 8.1b and books on 8.1b I have a lap top with XP and dx 9 can I install 8.1b sdk on the lap top with out messing the funcionality of the lap top''s dx 9 whats the difference between 8.1b and 9?
Vision It
Advertisement
Yes, you can have the DirectX 8.1 SDK installed while running the DX 9.0 runtimes. All runtimes are fully backwards compatable with all previous versions, so it isn''t a problem.
Dustin Franklin ( circlesoft :: KBase :: Mystic GD :: ApolloNL )
thank you for your reply
Vision It
quote:Original post by circlesoft
Yes, you can have the DirectX 8.1 SDK installed while running the DX 9.0 runtimes. All runtimes are fully backwards compatable with all previous versions, so it isn''t a problem.

Using the DX8 SDK with DX9 runtimes means you cannot use the debug runtime to get debug output.

A better choice would be to install the latest DX9 SDK, you can still use it to develop DX8.1 apps without a problem.

Stay Casual,

Ken
Drunken Hyena
Stay Casual,KenDrunken Hyena
The latest DirectX SDK help files do not have info on earlier versions, to the best of my knowledge.
- fyhuang [ site ]
You can download the dx 8.1 documentation separately from msdn.
Currently i have the dx 9 sdk installed, but im developing an engine using dx 8.1. In my opinion it's always better to have the lastest version installed, because you can still use the previous functionality.

[edited by - Arcibald Wearlot on May 19, 2004 3:58:01 PM]
quote:Original post by DrunkenHyena
Using the DX8 SDK with DX9 runtimes means you cannot use the debug runtime to get debug output.

A better choice would be to install the latest DX9 SDK, you can still use it to develop DX8.1 apps without a problem.
Ah, I never thought about that, but it makes sense. Hopefully he is using the debug runtimes and output
Dustin Franklin ( circlesoft :: KBase :: Mystic GD :: ApolloNL )
The DX9 Extras have the docs for earlier versions. Also, if you have the DX8 SDK installed now, then you could simply copy those files, right?

Stay Casual,

Ken
Drunken Hyena
Stay Casual,KenDrunken Hyena
quote:

Stay Casual,

Ken

how''s that possible when DDRAW is no longer available in dx9 sdk?

Flamers are worst than Newbies
Flamers are worst than Newbies
quote:Original post by Makoy
how''s that possible when DDRAW is no longer available in dx9 sdk?

Sure it''s still available. It''s just not part of DirectX 9.

You can use the DirectX9 SDK to develop for any version of DirectX. That includes the versions of DirectX that had DirectDraw in them.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement