Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BinaryAtrocity

MUD's

Ok ive learned alot about C/C++, and I figured my first project should be what I love, a MUD (for those of you who dont know what MUDDING is, its online Interactive Fiction, kinda like Zork), I figure I can make a codebase and anything I dont know how to do I can reasearch, Anyways, I was wondering if anyone would be intrested in helping me do this (as it would be alot of work), that could also teach me along the way. Also, there wouldnt happen to be a paper written on this or something would there, cause I kinda know how i want to do this, but I have alot to work out before I start. I was thinking like a large array that holds every command, and everytime something is inputted, it scans each member of the array for a definite match, with loops and whatnot. Anyways any help would be great! Is it ever safe to turn off you Computer?

There are a ton of free MUD codebases available. Check out MudConnector for a more mud-oriented site.

I''ve heard this tidbit mentioned on gamedev before though - quaternary linked lists (basically, linked lists that go N-S-E-W, and more if you need them to). I think it''s a perfect way to implement rooms in an ever-expanding mud and stuff, although I haven''t looked at any of the codebases available. Might want to take a look into that.