Nothing to do with programming!

Started by
13 comments, last by Surg AKA Kunark 19 years, 11 months ago
I know that this has nothing to do with programming, but I was just talking to a friend online about Calculus. And we were talking about eulas number. Can anyone show me the proof that the derivative of the function e^x is also e^x. Where e^x is the symbol for eulas number. If so I would greatly appreciate it, and no this is not school homework. Just something I''m wondeirng about lol.
~~Johnathan~~LTM my new fad, know it, use it, love it, LAUGHING TO MYSELF
Advertisement
I think that''s the definition of e; ie that d/dx of e^x is e^x for e != 0 is how e is defined.
My stuff.Shameless promotion: FreePop: The GPL god-sim.
look at it that way : d/dx a^x = ln(a)*a^x
now you have ln(e)*e^x
but ln(e) = 1

1*e^x = e^x
One possible definition of e^x is
e^x := 1 + x + x^2/2! + x^3/3! + x^4/4! + ...

The derivative of x^i/i! is x^(i-1)/(i-1)!, so taking the derivative of the expression that defines e^x converts each term in the previous term, with the term 1 disappearing because it''s derivative is 0.

We''ve had a very similar discussion before, but what alvaro just described is exp(x), not e^x. e is a number, which can be defined as exp(1). Now e^x is just that number to the power of x. This could be multi-valued, it could have infinitely many values(if x is irrational). However in many situations e^x is written instead of exp(x).

I think what you''re wanting to look at is exp(x), for which you want alvaro''s definition. You can probably just ignore my point, it will never be very important for simple calculus.
e is actually dedefined as:
e=(1+1/N)^N lim N->Infinity

Thus e^x=(1+1/N)^(Nx) lim N->Infinity

This expands to 1/0!+x/1!+x^2/2!... in the limit.
proving that exp(x) is e^x. Then you can run the proof above that exp''(x)=exp(x).

There is also some niggles in showing it coverges for all x, which I will not go into.
e^x is defined as the inverse logarithm, which extends the concepts of powers to all real numbers, rather than rational numbers.

The logarithm was defined as ∫1/t dt from 1 to x (IIRC), which means that its derivative is 1/x

Now, let y = e^x. Then, x = ln y
Differentiating this equation implicitly with respect to x,
1 = 1/y dy/dx

Multiplying both sides by y, we have
y = dy/dx

Substituting y = e^x back in,
d(e^x)/dx = e^x
---New infokeeps brain running;must gas up!
Actually you''re wrong, e is a number, e^x is not a function, exp(x) is. However in calculus it really doesn''t matter, you just use exp(x), using e^x notation.

Also sadwanage: that ''proof'' that exp(x) = e^x is flawed, you''ve only shown that exp(x) belongs to the ''set of solutions'' of e^x.
Thanks everyone, that really does clarify it for me. Thanks again for your help, now I think im going to go tell my teacher I learnt something new online. lol
~~Johnathan~~LTM my new fad, know it, use it, love it, LAUGHING TO MYSELF
First, we''ll show that ∫1x 1/t dt is loge x for some unknown e, and then we''ll solve for e to define it. To abbreviate, we''ll write ln x instead of loge x So, using the definition of a derivative,

d/dx (ln x) = limit((ln(x + Δx) - ln x) / Δx, Δx -> 0)
= limit((ln(1 + Δx/x) / Δx, Δx -> 0)
= limit(1/x * x/Δx * ln(1 + Δx/x), Δx -> 0)
= limit(1/x * ln((1 + Δx/x)x/Δx), Δx -> 0)

Write w = Δx / x, so the above equals

limit(1/x * ln((1 + w)1/w), w -> 0)
= 1/x * ln( limit((1 + w)1/w, w -> 0))

Now if we define e as limit((1 + w)1/w, w -> 0), then ln e = 1, so

d/dx (ln x) = 1/x, we expected, and it also has the initial condition that ln 1 = 0, so it is the solution to the definite integral ∫1x 1/t dt.

Now that we have a definition for e, we find the derivative of ex using implicit differentiation:

y = ex
ln y = x
d/dx (ln y) = d/dx (x)
1/y * dy/dx = 1
dy/dx = y
dy/dx = ex

And that''s it!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement