Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jollyjeffers

Texture Accuracy and Terrain LOD

Hello all, I''m not actually writing any code at the moment... this is more a random musing while sitting in the sunshine this morning Anyway, I once implemented Greg Snook''s Index Buffer LOD terrain renderer (from one of the GPG books), which I like a lot. But take a general scheme for Terrain LOD whereby at a greater distance the geometry will (usually) decrease in resolution/approximation. Now, say we map the entire terrain with a texture/series of textures... These textures obviously become less valid as the appoximation is reduced. Or, more importantly, I was contemplating using a normal-mapped/per-pixel lighting scheme - which would obviously become incorrect. But, is this actually a problem? 1. It has similarities with the latest Doom/Farcry/Unreal engines that lower the tesselation and increase the texture-based lighting... 2. It''ll potentially be far away from the camera, so the screenspace contribution is relatively small (and the error not so noticable). Has anyone here "solved" this problem? (is it even a problem?!) Is there any point in having a matching texture LOD system (or can we just rely on mip-mapping?). Any thoughts are appreciated.. Jack DirectX 4 VB: All you need for multimedia programming in Visual Basic Formula 1 Championship Manager, My Game Project.

i guess that would depend. if your tex coords are evenly spaced it doesnt matter if the vertices in between are there or not. if you adjust the coords to compensate for steep slopes it could be a problem.