Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rypyr

Version Control with a hosted site

I wanted to know if there is any decent source code version control software out there that could be installed on my hosted domain server. I only have FTP access, no telnet but PHP is enabled on the site. Thanks, Jeff
[ CodeDread ]

I signed up with Linode for precisely this purpose. You get root access to a Linux box that you can do whatever you want with it. I''m using Debian 3.0r1 stable and have Subversion installed.

Well you can''t install stuff like Subversion or CVS on there but there may be a PHP solution around. Try searching Google or if your PHP skills are up to scratch you could try writing your own.

quote:
Original post by Monder
Well you can''t install stuff like Subversion or CVS on there but there may be a PHP solution around. Try searching Google or if your PHP skills are up to scratch you could try writing your own.

I''ve tried to do the first bit (googling) but it''s not so easy. "version control php" doesn''t provide too much illumination.

The second bit (rolling my own) is not a trivial task!

[ CodeDread ]

quote:
I''ve tried to do the first bit (googling) but it''s not so easy. "version control php" doesn''t provide too much illumination.

The second bit (rolling my own) is not a trivial task!

Yeah I had a look and the best I could find were document archiving systems. As for rolling your own it depends exactly what features you want from your source control system, you could probably get something fairly basic running without too much difficulty. A full blown version control would of course take a long time, but do you actually need a full blown one?