World partition in real games today

Started by
1 comment, last by Mille 19 years, 11 months ago
Hey all I have always been wondering what kind of world partition algorithm is most often used by companies making real console games (PS2/Xbox) today ? I have implemented both BSP, Octree and Quadtree algorithms in my own hobby engine, but I''m really unsure if this is what''s done in the industry. The textures in console games today looks like they are all from 3D Studio Max, so is a PS2 game really just build up around many *.3ds files organized in some portal alike system, where an octree is applied on each portal ?? Say for example the splintercell / hitman games, some of the level are HUGE, I mean very HUGE, so I do not believe that the entire world in loaded into on BSP structure or a single octree, but who knows … ? There must be some full-time real game developer out there who knows ?? You do not need to write your game company ideas, just tell me in general terms thanks ..
www.pokersniffer.org
Advertisement
Using a portal based system where frustum culling is applied to each sector is a common approach.

Although that would only work on a traditional room-corridor-small world kind of game.

For large landscapes quadtrees are used often.
Don''t know for definite but i assume on a high level they would have some kind of custom/commerical Scene Graph at the heart of the engine that can use space parition nodes like Octrees etc

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement