what? GL_TRIANGLES or GL_POLYGON?

Started by
1 comment, last by Unreal 19 years, 11 months ago
Hello People! I wanna ask something... I have a BSP engine and due to splitting while building the bsp i can get polygons from 3 points tou more than 10 points... What to use to draw it? GL_TRIANGLES?GL_TRIANGLE_FAN?GL_TRIANGE_STRIP? or GL_POLYGON? I hear that GL_TRIANGLES is better for speed! if is this true how much faster than GL_POLYGON is it? 1%?5%? or more? thank you
Advertisement
GL_TRIANGLE_STRIP is the fastest, but I don''t know how much it is faster.

"C lets you shoot yourself in the foot rather easily. C++ allows you to reuse the bullet!"
"C lets you shoot yourself in the foot rather easily. C++ allows you to reuse the bullet!"
quote:Original post by Unreal
GL_TRIANGLES?GL_TRIANGLE_FAN?GL_TRIANGE_STRIP? or GL_POLYGON?
I hear that GL_TRIANGLES is better for speed! if is this true how much faster than GL_POLYGON is it? 1%?5%? or more?
thank you

might be confusing something because i never ever felt any need to use polygon, but i think it is drawing only ONE polygon. you would have to start over and over for every single polygon and if they are triangles thats just pointless and inefficient. if clipping is causing it to have more than 3 vertices you should just split it until its triangles again.

i dont think hardware is supporting much more than triangles and maybe lines anyway, so if you send a polygon it will have to first be split into triangles. for a really complex scene i might even guess something closer to 50% or more (assuming youre not killing performance by using immediate mode and use indexed primitives).

f@dzhttp://festini.device-zero.de

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement