Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Want to open a .PDF file from VB (in a shell)

This topic is 4961 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I need to open a PDF file from a VB application I am making. In fact, what it is doing is opening the game manual for the user. Here is the code I have: Res = ShellExecute(Form1.hwnd, "open", "manual.pdf", vbNullString, vbNullString, 0) When I run the code, it begins to execute. The Adobe Acrobat intro screen pops up. But then nothing shows up. I look in Task Manager and I see Acrobat is running under the Processes tab, but I dont see it under the Applications tab. I have verified that the PDF file name and path are correct. I suspect it has something to do with the hWnd parameter. I have tried setting it to 0, but that doesnt work either. Thanks, Brian

The last parameter to ShellExecute is ''nShowCmd'', and I''m betting 0 is the value for SW_HIDE. You need to find the value for one of the constants that shows the window (SW_HIDE being the only one that does not) and replace the 0 with that.

This works every time.

ShellExecute(Me.hwnd, "Open", "filename.pdf", 0&, 0&, 5)

I don''t know the constant term for the 5, but it will give you a full screen Acrobat Reader. Also, if the return value is <=32, you have an error. The most common error is lack of Adobe Acrobat Reader.

-Kirk

Yeah, it was the last parameter. I tried putting "SW_SHOW" in there earlier. However, I am so used to C++ that I didnt realize that SW_SHOW is not declared in VB and won''t give an error since VB allows you to declare variables on the fly... hehe

Thanks,

Brian

quote:
Original post by BrianH
However, I am so used to C++ that I didnt realize that SW_SHOW is not declared in VB and won''t give an error since VB allows you to declare variables on the fly... hehe

Option Explicit!! VB is really worthless without it.