Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Making a forum...

This topic is 4956 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am currently trying to make a forum for my website in ASP and Microsoft Access. Right now, the problem I have encountered occurs when the user tries to make a new topic. Here is how my program is set up now: 1.) User enters topic title and message in a form on a page called createtopic.asp 2.)Once the user enters the information, they are directed to another page inserttopic.asp which inserts their topic information into a database. This page then redirects them to the original page that listed all the topics in the forum. THE PROBLEM: When the user presses the BACK button on the page they have been redirected to, they are continually redirected to the page they are trying to leave because the previous inserttopic.asp page has a redirect routine. QUESTION: I am wondering if anyone understands my current problem and could aid me with a solution. I would greatly appreciate any help offered. --BioX

You could send a Location: header (I don''t know how to do it in ASP) in the inserttopic.asp script, that way the page won''t show up in the history. It''ll also redirect right away, which might be a problem?

Doesn''t ASP have some redirect function? If you were using PHP you could just do this:

header("Location: whatever.php");

And then you''d be done. Whatever, I quit using ASP a while ago (and now I don''t have to pay for components for features I need like image creation and e-mail).

@VBBR
You can''t make it just one file because the connection to the server ends before the user event types in information to the field(this is the way for all html pages). Thus, in order to submit the data, the info needs to be placed on a different page.

The problem is that the previous page that inserts the info uses a redirect routine. Thus, whenever you go to that page, it redirects you. But what if you want to leave the page you have been redirected to using the back button? Well, since the back button will send you back to the redirecting page, the redirecting page will constnatly send you back to the page that you''re trying to leave. This is the problem I am trying to overcome.

Most forums (phpbb) have a delay before the auto-redirect. 5 seconds or so. That gives the back button user enough time to hit back again.