suggestions for my fighting game????

Started by
10 comments, last by ice_code9 19 years, 11 months ago
Hi as the header explained. My latest project is a fighting game. I''m about 70% done the design document but could use suggestions from true fans of fighting games. The game is highly based on the capcom series of fighting games (children of the atom, marvel vs. street fighter, street fighter etc...) So I''m all ears tell me what features a fighting game MUST have I''ll consider all serious ideas. Some ideas include fighting characters, moves anything u can contribute? Hope to hear from u all. -and the weak shall inherit the earth- isaeh 9:25
-and the weak shall inherit the earth- isaeh 9:25
Advertisement
It depends on the style of your fighting game, tactical or brute.

Tactical fighting games have less combat, but you must be careful when to hit or defend. Once you are hit, you can lose half of your hit points if your opponent is good. Usually you can only have about 5 combos at max. A good example is Samurai Shodown IV or Street Fighter.

Suggestion:
  • Dash, forward and backward.
  • No cheesy super moves. Allow only one super move when the power bar is full.

Brute fighting games is always about hitting your opponent. 18 hit combos usually means only 1/6 of your hit points. So the damage done isn''t that much. It usually rely on super moves on the hand of newbies.

Suggestion:
  • Dash, forward and backward.
  • Hi jump and low jump.
  • Low-med-hi kick/punch. Allow combos using combination of those (marvel vs capcom).
  • Air combo.

- Google - MSDN Library - GameDev.net Articles & Resources - Wikipedia The Free Encyclopedia -
    - Alnite Design -
  • Violence is a MUST-HAVE!

I Live My Life For You.
    I Live My Life For You.
    Well from what u said Alnite, I take it "brute" fighting games are like "killer instict", if that''s the case mine is definately more "tactical". It''s essentially gonna be a just like marvel vs capcom 2. Just with fighters rendered in 3d and placed in a 2d environment.

You had good suggestions I can tell u like fighting games. I have most of what u said inplace cept i''ll just use Strong P and K with Low P and K. (I''ll have user controller figuration just as a side note). I want Foreward Dash but not backward because I think it would make game play a lil too rapid plus with super jump, evading an opponent is easy anyhow. I''ll also have air-block but no way to counter an air attack (I always hated that.
    I really don''t care too much for combos so much as the character''s special moves. I will only have 1 super move per character. The real draw to the game play is what I call the "exhaustion meter" (do u remember the running meter in mortal kombat 3?), well this meter is designed so cheap game play (people repeating the same moves over n over such as throwing fireballs)is eliminated.What do u think?

And gamexlave I appreciate your enthusiasm but do u have any suggestions u like in your favorite fighting games?

please implement AT LEAST a double tap back-out move. I find it extremely annoying, when I can predict someones moves and hit them, but I cant get out quick enough (especially if I take damage from blocking).

consider this - In real sparring you should always attempt to move sideways to dodge, backing up only corners you. full 3D roaming fighters (Soul Cal ) implement this, so that you can quickly side-step if you know your opponents forward moves. However in a 2D movement sceniero, when you only allow your player to block or move in quickly, you really are leaving out the 2D equiv of the side-step, which in the 2D sense is the quick back out. If you dont allow quick back outs, then the game caters to the button mashers out there than can just quickly punch you and you have no alternative but to sit there and take it blocking.

I think Samurai Shodown III and IV had the best game engine ever.

Both allowed you to dodge attacks by pressing AB together. Your character would dodge to the side, allowing you to quickly evade an attack and counter while your opponent was recovering. The problem was the timing involved, which was a little strict so you couldn''t just dodge every attack. Furthermore, some moves could not be dodged (for instance, a slow moving projectile).

AB also allowed you to rapidly circle around your opponent when you were in throwing distance to attack them from behind. This was the ultimate turtle-breaker (ie, someone who crouches and blocks all the time). If you were too caught up in your own little world, your opponent would easily catch you off guard while you were busy throwing random punches and kicks or blocking like a little n00b.

The game also allowed you to dash (double-tap forward) and hop away (double-tap backwards). Good evasive moves. Dashing and attacking with a hard slash (C) meant a guard-crushing attack that took a slight while longer to pull off (we''re talking split second here) but resulted in an unblockable move to further discourage unecessary blocking.

An other game by SNK, Last Blade, exchanged the AB dodge system for a sort of parrying move that allowed you to counter most attacks (if timed right) and follow up with an attack of your own. For instance, your opponent tries to slash at you, you hit C (the button to pull this off), and you smack their sword out of the way, setting up for a quick counterattack of your own.

These kinds of system add a lot of strategy. For one thing, they give you plent more options than just blocking...
    quote:Original post by ice_code9
    Well from what u said Alnite, I take it "brute" fighting games are like "killer instict", if that''s the case mine is definately more "tactical". It''s essentially gonna be a just like marvel vs capcom 2. Just with fighters rendered in 3d and placed in a 2d environment.

I think you''d find very few fighting game fans that call MVC2 a tactical fighter...
    counters are good. just because once you know the characters (or the other player in some cases) you can tell what they are going to do from the beginning of the animation, and thwart their evil plans and then kick them or something.
    --- krez ([email="krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net"]krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net[/email])

You know, when you watch kung fu movies, they don''t block like video game characters... They don''t simply cover themseleves with their arms... They deflect with their arms out... The advantage of course is that a block can turn into a punch at the last second if you''re opponent had a moment of weakness... So, I propose that blocking is acomplished via the JAB key... If you''re opponent is hitting you and within striking distance, you deflect their motion, if they are NOT hitting you, and in striking distance, it''s just a jab...

Tony
    Well if mvc2 is a brute so is this game. Anyways...I didn''t know a quick dodge maneuver was so popular. My problem with it is abuse, like lil rats striking u then backing off to go hide. I''ll include it with double tap back but it will have to be an "exhaustion move" to eliminate abuse. I''ve also been toying with the idea of an unblockable move (to eliminate chronic blockers). SF always had the throw to handle this but I find throwing requires too much animation (and really pisses off my friends when they jump over me just to land into my throw). I''ll throw in an unblockable move but it must also be 1) an exhaustion move or 2) have a set # u can use it p. round (i''m more partial to option 2 myself).

Runelancer brought up a good point with the dodge to the side move. I think your talking about what fatal fury special had as well. It added a lvl of cinematic brilliance/reality but I must pass. For 1) I think it will cheapen game play when used in my 2 on 2 or 3 on 2 etc fighting modes. Plus my game has lots of fireballs/beams etc and I don''t want intensity to be lost on account of frequent side stepping.

As for the "counters", I HATE COUNTERS! ever since SF ALpha 2 implimented them it cheapened game play in my opinion.You all remember the "combo breaker" in killer instict. Well I think that cheapened killer instict because whoever new a combo breaker will always win over someone who doesn''t. That brings an important point: I want my game to be so that a noob can pick up the joystick and have a really good chance of beating a more weathered player. How do I accomplish this? by keeping moves easy to perform and keeping special menouvers to a minimum.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement