Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How do you go about read/write to conventional memory in a windows c/c++ program? More specifically I need to access the UMA.

i'm not sure that windows allows access to the UMA at all. i would imagine that if it does allow access it would be somewhere in the win32 API, so searching msdn is your best bet. my understanding of UMA, while not great, suggests that it's something the OS can use to help performance by throwing drivers & similar things in there, thus freeing up the conventional memory. AFAIK, apps running in windows operate in a protected memory space, addresses as referenced by the program don't correspond at all to the actual memory space of the machine, but are mapped to a block handed to that app, or something loosely resembling that. so from those 2 pieces of limited understanding, i arrive at my 1st sentance, i don't think you can get direct access to UMA, perhaps you can suggest to windows that you'd like something to run there, but ultimately i'd imagine it'd be up to the OS to make the final call.

-me

[edited by - Palidine on May 19, 2004 8:40:50 PM]

Guest Anonymous Poster
Windows programming is in a flat space memory model, UMA has effectivelly gone out of the window. What makes you think you need it ?