[java] Design Patterns for games and real time

Started by
3 comments, last by Lucidquiet 19 years, 11 months ago
Does anyone know of a resource for Design Patterns about games, and/or real time engines -- I''m familiar with Design Patterns by the Gang of Four, and several other pattern books, but is there anyone who would recommend or knows a book on game design patterns specifically? Just curious, I wouldn''t mind reading something like that. L- " ''No one has control -- control is just a fantasy. And being human is difficult.'' "
"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't." -Pete Seegerwww.lucid-edge.net
Advertisement
i believe that "developing games in java" has a section on patterns. its published by new riders. whats wrong with using the patterns by the GoF? just apply them to computer games, i know i did, my team used them for a game we wrote for school.

Nothings wrong with them -- but I was wondering if there was a perspective for game designers that is directed more at games. I''ll take a look at Game Developement in Java thanks.

I started writing a clone of Collapse -- probably heard of it, found at Microsoft Game Zone. And as I wrote I started designing things, and have wound up with 30 class/interface/abstracts classes files (or so) and I''m not even done yet -- so I was just wonderring. And I''ve started taking it apart to create less coupling, and draw the line more around the MVC pattern... It just felt maybe overkill.

Maybe not -- I''m not sure.

" ''No one has control -- control is just a fantasy. And being human is difficult.'' "
"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't." -Pete Seegerwww.lucid-edge.net
Patterns used in games;

Singletons - texture manager, mesh manager, etc...
Factory - game objects
Object Pools - particles, other in game entities
Listeners - entity interactions

Thats a few...
quote:Original post by earl3982
i believe that "developing games in java" has a section on patterns. its published by new riders.

If you mean David Brackeen''s book, there''s no patterns section in it.. but it''s an excellent book anyways.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement