Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Any Director MX developers here?

This topic is 4955 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

lol, im a kinda FlashMX game programmer. Me and my mates are working on a small tank game.
To check that out go to this site
I know that director can be use to make 3D stuff. To check out what it can do i suggest you go to Robot Duck

Kris

----------

"Here lies a toppled God,
His fall was not a small one,
We but built his pedastle,
A narrow, and a tall one"
Frank Herbert (Dune:Messiah)

[edited by - Kris2456 on May 20, 2004 5:13:39 PM]

[edited by - Kris2456 on May 20, 2004 5:14:40 PM]

Guest Anonymous Poster
I''m a professional Director and Flash developer, and I find Director a much more powerful tool than Flash. There''s a lot more scope for organising your code, i.e. grouping into seperate scripts, rather than leaving it all in one place, which I tend to do in Flash. Code in Director also runs a lot faster than Flash because it''s partially compiled, where as Flash is purely interpreted.

The 3D stuff is quite nice, and its reasonably easy to use, as long as your maths isn''t too bad, but the quality is nowhere near the standard of modern games.

You''ve also got the difference in graphics to bear in mind, Director is Buitmap based where as Flash is Vector based, it all depends on what you are looking to achieve.

You can also embed Flash Movies inside Director, allowing you to use flash graphics with Director Code, but the performance will suffer (quite a bit in some cases).

Hope this helps.

Ignore the AP. I am (amongst other things) a Flash developer, and have looked into the Director vs Flash debate.
Flash code isn''t interpreted, it''s compiled to byte code, much like javascript is. Likewise, Director is also compiled to a similar level rather than machine code. Better scope for organising code is rubbish, both support attaching scripts in pretty much the same way, though the score in Director makes some simple things much easier.
The main thing is compared to actionscript, the Flash scripting language, Lingo really sucks. I mean it is awful. So for simple game making Flash is easily superior.

That said, Director is more powerful if you are willing to stick with Lingo. It supports plugins (known as Xtras) much better, supports bitmap AND vector graphics, can have Flash embedded in it while not visa versa (I believe), and generally allows more stuff done. E.g. raster manipulation, file loading, supporting MIDIs. The 3d stuff is not really much, but Director offers much more.

Director is alot more powerful if you want to do 3d stuff. With less than a page of code you can have the start of a nice 3d game, using the havok physics director has available.

edit: heres a good page to see whats possible. I've personally started on a 2d multiplayer RPG a while back that uses the multi-user extra.

not my page, but excellent tech examples
http://www.noisecrime.com/develop/techdemo/dmx.html

[edited by - DrEvil on May 22, 2004 7:07:36 PM]

As i understand Director 2004 now offers and alternative to Lingo, i think its JavaScript. Will this make Lingo sintax a thing of the past, or will the new JavaScript sintax be controlled by the funny Lingo structure? anyone?