Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Chupacabra

Getting x,y pos in 3D

Hi, first of all this is not a "picking" problem where I want to select an object. Basically I am drawing a plane in 3D and I want to be able to click this plane and get the x and y coordinate of the plane on which I clicked. I don''t care about the z coordinate since the z coordinate is the same everywhere. I''ve tried gluUnproject but it doesn''t seem to give me what I want. Think diablo in 3D where you click on a certain point and the character moves there.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Sounds like a simple ray -> plane intersection test. Create a ray IN VIEW space with the origin being the x,y of the mose click on the screen traveling strait out the z axis.

Transform this ray TO WORLDSPACE. This should make the ray originate from the camera/avatar/whatever object traveling to your plane of interest. Do a ray/plane intersection test to determine where they intersect.

TRANSFORM this point TO OBJECT SPACE. This should be the x,y that you want.

Thanks alot for the help, worked like a charm. Except that I had to take call gluUnproject with parameter (SCREEN_HEIGHT - HIWORD(lParam)) in order to get the correct Y value. Took a while to figure that out.