Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Daz_mk

how does it all fit in

i have a good degree of c++ knowledge in me noggin, i purchased loads of ''essential'' applications like 3dsm and visual c++. i purchased a few books on 3dsm, c++, openGL as im serious about getting into games. but how does 3dsm + opengl fit into each other i cant get my head around in. with the examples im using from the openGL book, its doing vertexs without no modeller and what have you...can one of u pro''s shed some light on this please. thanks in advance!

You can either write a .3ds file reader or you can make file exporter for 3ds max to export the data in your file format

and, believe it or not, .3ds files load faster than .obj
well maybe not 'load', but I tested a 4mb model with way too much polygons (faces or whatever it is called)
and the .3ds model rotated faster.
rotation speed was the same, but you could see a speed difference due to the heavyness of the model.

as for a .3ds loader, I noticed the Nehe tuts lacked an example of that, check GameTutorials.com, it has examples of different file formats.
[edited by - incubator01 on May 20, 2004 12:34:01 PM]

[edited by - incubator01 on May 20, 2004 12:35:45 PM]

If a model has the same no. of triangles and is stored internally in the same way, how does the file format it came from make any difference to the rendering speed?

it could just be some artifact of the particular model he was viewing. perhaps the 3DS version of the model had better index list optimizations, or just a better draw order or something that just ended up drawing the triangles more efficiently (maybe the same vertex for different tris was more often adjacent to itself in the index list more often allowing the card to utilize caching of some sort to optimize the render). then again, it''s probably just some wierd artifact of the experiment... if a model is represented exactly the same (same vertex list, same index list, same ordering of materials and textures for the tris, then it''s obviously going to render at exactly the same speed).

-me

quote:
it could just be some artifact of the particular model he was viewing. perhaps the 3DS version of the model had better index list optimizations

I thought incubator01 implied that it was the same model but just in two different formats. I was trying to provoke thought on whether the loading/rendering code was actually correct.