A Benchmark, C++ vs Java

Started by
79 comments, last by Raghar 19 years, 9 months ago
http://www.kano.net/javabench/ I found this on google today, and I thought I would share. Any thoughts on this? I mean I always hear about how Java is _SO_ slow compared to C++. Please don''t turn this into a Java vs C++ flamewar.
Advertisement
quote:Original post by nakor
Please don''t turn this into a Java vs C++ flamewar.

um...perhaps if you didn''t want a flamewar you shouldn''t have posted an article titled: "The Java is Faster than C++ and C++ Sucks Unbiased Benchmark". how this cannot become a flamewar escapes me.

-me
quote:Please don''t turn this into a Java vs C++ flamewar.

Too late, you used "vs" in the title.

The guy that runs kano.net is a Java apologist, for what it''s worth.
--God has paid us the intolerable compliment of loving us, in the deepest, most tragic, most inexorable sense.- C.S. Lewis
Java/C++ benchmarks are hardly worth the time it takes you to read them. People can always argue stats both ways or say they are unfair or just talk plain bullshit.

One way to test Java''s performance: Build an app using it and try it yourself. Experiance is worth a thousand benchmarks.

The Java/C++ perpetual-flamewar-machine has always been fueled by idiots with either little or inaccurate information. (Often both) What Java needs more than anything is someone have faith and prove that fast apps can be written by writing one.

Speaking of which, advert time: My Amateur Game Project
Well, I''m convinced. Time to port my Nested Loop (tm) application to Java...
This is almost turning into a flame war on how this is destined to turn into a flame war. The irony is bittersweet.

For future reference to everyone, just because you put "please don''t turn this into a flame war" at the bottom of your post doesn''t make you any less responsible when a flame war does begin You can''t feign innocence, the proof is in the pudding! Muahaha!
Get your azbestous suits and falmethrowers here for just 19.99€.

You should never let your fears become the boundaries of your dreams.
You should never let your fears become the boundaries of your dreams.
Has anyone actually tried running this benchmark themselves?
quote:Original post by zoggo
What Java needs more than anything is someone have faith and prove that fast apps can be written by writing one.

Speaking of which, advert time: My Amateur Game Project

Dude, your page is a poor advert; you could at least wait until you have some screen shots to show...

I find benchmarks like this so funny. It was even linked to from an intro to soft eng course at the uni I went to (they teach java). The way academics talk you''d think all programs just consisted of algorithms you learn in 1st year university.

As some of the previous posters have said, show us a Java (GUI) application that runs as fast a native app and we''ll start believing you!! Why people think Java HAS to be fast in this department eludes me though, Java is great for what it does, and is great for server components etc.. For games and real time applications I''ll go c/c++ anyday.
------------------------------------------------------
50% of me is a huge nerd! How about you?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement