• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Boogle55

VBO + glDrawRangeElements

This topic is 5146 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi guys Hoping you can help me with a little problem with VBOs and glDrawRangeElements. I''m trying to replace a standard vertex array (using glXPointers) with VBOs. I can''t use glDrawElements because that causes major memory reallocations (check nv docs), nor can I use glDrawArrays because that is no different than using a display list. In fact, its worse because you can''t change texture bindings. Loading code:
		glGenBuffersARB(2, m_vertexBufferObjects);
		glEnableClientState(GL_VERTEX_ARRAY);
		//glEnableClientState(GL_TEXTURE_COORD_ARRAY);

glBindBufferARB(GL_ARRAY_BUFFER_ARB, m_vertexBufferObjects[VERTEX_BUFFER]);
		glBufferDataARB(GL_ARRAY_BUFFER_ARB, sizeof(BSPVertex) * m_numOfVerts, m_pVerts, GL_STATIC_DRAW_ARB);
		glVertexPointer(3, GL_FLOAT, sizeof(BSPVertex), (char*)NULL);
		//glNormalPointer(GL_FLOAT, sizeof(BSPVertex), (char*)(sizeof(CVector2) * 2 + sizeof(CVector3)));

int size;
		glGetBufferParameterivARB(GL_ARRAY_BUFFER_ARB, GL_BUFFER_SIZE_ARB, &size);
		CONSOLE.AddLine("Vertex Buffer size: %i", size);
		glBindBufferARB(GL_ELEMENT_ARRAY_BUFFER_ARB, m_vertexBufferObjects[INDEX_BUFFER]);
		glBufferDataARB(GL_ELEMENT_ARRAY_BUFFER_ARB, sizeof(int) * m_numOfIndices, m_pIndexArray, GL_STATIC_DRAW_ARB);
		glIndexPointer(GL_UNSIGNED_INT, sizeof(int), (char*)NULL);
		glGetBufferParameterivARB(GL_ELEMENT_ARRAY_BUFFER_ARB, GL_BUFFER_SIZE_ARB, &size);
		glBindBufferARB(GL_ARRAY_BUFFER_ARB, m_vertexBufferObjects[VERTEX_BUFFER]);
		CONSOLE.AddLine("Index Buffer size: %i", size);
BSPVertex encompasses texture coords, normals, colours, and the vertices themselves. It is a 64bit structure. Rendering code:
        glDrawRangeElementsEXT(GL_TRIANGLES, pFace->meshVertIndex, pFace->meshVertIndex + pFace->numOfVerts, pFace->numMeshVerts, GL_UNSIGNED_INT, 0);
I know that the glDrawRangeElementsExt statement is wrong, but I''ve tried so many possible values, that is the latest. If I put in a pointer (or rather offset) to the indices, then the computer hangs, requiring a reset. Original code for the normal vertex array:
glDrawElements(GL_TRIANGLES, pFace->numMeshVerts, GL_UNSIGNED_INT, &m_pIndexArray[pFace->meshVertIndex]);
Any help would be very appreciated In fact, just a summary of how glDrawRangeElements works, when using a separate buffer for Index Arrays should help me figure this out

Advertisement

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!