Donkey Punch Adventure goes cross platform and open source!

Started by
8 comments, last by graveyard filla 19 years, 10 months ago
high, Donkey Punch Adventure is officially linux compatable. (big thanks to doc!! check out his website) Also, i have released the source code under the GPL (crappily coded, though, my first real game ). Another thing, i made the game a little easier for those who thought it was too hard the first time around... try playing again... make sure to make full use of the bombs and teleports!! heres the controls (also available in game): press Z to use a warp (you only get a few each board) press SPACEBAR to drop a bomb once you picked one up. also, press spacebar again to detonate a bomb you have dropped. press p to pause the game if you somehow teleport into the enemies cage, and you are stuck, then you can kill yourself by pressing K. press Q or ESC to quit click here to get the windows or linux version of the game!!! [edited by - graveyard filla on May 20, 2004 5:39:05 PM] [edited by - graveyard filla on May 20, 2004 5:45:37 PM]
FTA, my 2D futuristic action MMORPG
Advertisement
Good on you for porting! I'm just compiling it now for my PPC Linux box.

EDIT: This is a neat clone of pacman (the sounds are a bit annoying) and I think it has potential. It works well under Linux, even on my relatively piddly machine.

Good work, it looks a hell of a lot better than my SDL games. I had to change two or three things to get it to compile (#include <string> in the level editor header, comment out #include <istream> in all the headers).

ravuya: [Resist everyone][I am your only friend. Click, now .]

[edited by - ravuya on May 20, 2004 6:13:36 PM]
thanks for checking it out man...did anyone else try this on a linux box?
Building it as we speak.

Two tiny snags in the install process. First, the file is an uncompressed tar, so you shouldn't name it .tar.gz. Second the 'donkeypac' script expects 'donkeypac-real' to be on your executable path - it shouldn't.

Otherwise, it's fun. Congrats.

Is that what all your C++ & SDL & GL questions were leading toward?

[edited by - Fruny on May 23, 2004 7:38:15 PM]
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan
quote:Original post by Fruny
First, the file is an uncompressed tar, so you shouldn't name it .tar.gz.

That's weird, since it's definitely compressed at my end. Unless graveyard filla somehow decompressed it on his end, I suggest you have a closer look.

The other problems will be taken care of.

EDIT: I downloaded it from graveyard filla's site, and all indications are that it's definitely compressed. Fruny, want to check that again?

[edited by - Doc on May 24, 2004 1:15:26 AM]
My stuff.Shameless promotion: FreePop: The GPL god-sim.
hey fruny... nah, that game i finished around a month ago but just recently doc here was nice enough to port it for me... right now im working on a RPG with OpenGL... dont worry my questions have only begun thanks for checking it out!!

[edited by - graveyard filla on May 24, 2004 2:41:54 AM]
quote:Original post by Doc
That''s weird, since it''s definitely compressed at my end. Unless graveyard filla somehow decompressed it on his end, I suggest you have a closer look.

Seems to be fine now. I had gotten a warning ''not in gzip format'' the first time, and plain untarring had worked.

“Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it.” — Brian W. Kernighan
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan
quote:Original post by Doc
quote:Original post by Fruny
First, the file is an uncompressed tar, so you shouldn't name it .tar.gz.

That's weird, since it's definitely compressed at my end. Unless graveyard filla somehow decompressed it on his end, I suggest you have a closer look.

Some browsers that can handle .gz as a valid transfer encoding unpack the file on the fly. Normally, that should just be done to stuff the browser wants to display, but some just unpack everything.

Could be a problem with the MIME-type settings.

(Edit: re-wording, of course newer versions of Mozilla can also handle gzipped content...)

[edited by - Shadowdancer on May 24, 2004 11:56:49 AM]
quote:Original post by graveyard filla
but just recently doc here was nice enough to port it for me...

Don''t give me too much credit, all I did was point out a couple of #include "windows.h" lines and something to do with filename case, and wrap the whole thing into a standard package. Most of the code itself was already portable - which was entirely the work of graveyard filla.
Does anyone else have any issues with the port while I''m at it?

Image loads when I''m online.The following statement is true. The previous statement is false.
Shameless promotion:
FreePop: The GPL Populous II clone.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement