A problem with this?

Started by
4 comments, last by Talvern 19 years, 11 months ago
Hey everyone, when i put this in and then open it up it works fine, but then when i put in a number and press enter it shuts itself off, any idea why it would do that? any way i can fix it? is this a common problem? thanks. /* Program 2.8 calculations on a table */ #include <stdio.h> #include <stdlib.h> void main() { float radius = 0.0f; float diameter = 0.0f; float circumference = 0.0f; float area = 0.0f; float Pi = 3.14159265f; printf("Input the diameter of the table:"); scanf("%f", diameter); radius = diameter/2.0f; circumference = 2.0f*Pi*radius; area = Pi*radius*radius; printf("\nThe circumference is %.2f", circumference); printf("\nThe area is %.2f\n", area); }
Advertisement
Put getch() at the end. While you''re at it, learn to use C++ as there is no reason at all to use plain C.
erm im using C becuase i got the game programming guru book (lots of people suggested it) but i need to know C to use it. So I''m going to learn C, then learn C++, then read the book so i have a basic knowledge of both before i start. Oh and i prolly should have mentioned that it gives me a windows error, not shuts down and it still does it.
quote:Original post by Talvern
Oh and i prolly should have mentioned that it gives me a windows error, not shuts down and it still does it.

Care to tell us what that error is?

Although from the looks of it, I think I know what''s wrong. Try...

scanf("%f", &diameter);

scanf() requires pointers to work with.
Hey everyone, when i put this in and then open it up it works fine, but then when i put in a number and press enter it shuts itself off, any idea why it would do that? any way i can fix it?

a) Because console applications are intended to be run in a pre-existing console (a.k.a "DOS commnd prompt"). If you don''t have a console when the program starts up, the C run-time creates one but, as with every other resource, it must be destroyed when the program terminates.

b) Make a foo.bat file (or equivalent) and execute it instead of directly calling your executable:
foo.exe
pause
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan
quote:Original post by RuneLancer
Care to tell us what that error is?

Although from the looks of it, I think I know what''s wrong. Try...

scanf("%f", &diameter);

scanf() requires pointers to work with.

Heh yeah, I found that out last night and didnt bother coming on the forums after that, thanks for the help though =D

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement