• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CHASIS-BLADE

Battle system for an Action game

This topic is 5233 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Just a simple one. The first character uses a sword that can change Its Elemental Properties to: Fire, Electric, Wind and Pure Energy. This can all be done just by pushing one of the sholder buttons. He also uses fire-arms and they have lock-on so you dont need to aim but you can aim if you want. When the character has obtaind a certain amount of damage he can use a Thing called a Phoenix Drive that unleases the full power of his sword and can rip apart enimies in under 15 secs. Also his sword skills are really powerful like Dante from DMC but he uses one hand for it. The second Character is a basic character that uses just simple handguns that can be upgraded througout the game. this character also uses a device That can hack into Devices and Send Stun Probes to enimes to freeze them for a minuet or so. I know it is simple and a wee bit rushed but if you have any tips on how i could improve it without making the system too RPG like please tell me!

Advertisement
I like simple games :D

First, please tell me what are the advantages and disadvantages of each Elemental properties of the main character.

About aiming, I think you plan to have some baddies to fight with. More than just one type of baddie. You could make baddies have weak points and strong points, so if the player goes for aiming if he shoots at a weak point it hurts the enemy more, and viceversa, and so the lock-on always aims for the chest.

I guess the first character''s guns are weaker than the second character''s guns, or the second character''s guns can be improved way beyond the first character''s guns.

I don''t know why but I think I have heard something like ''Phoenix Drive'' from somewhere...

About the second character... what type of upgrades can his handgunds get? I don''t get the hacking into devices part, you haven''t said anything about any kind of devices... I think I do get the Stun Probes part.

And as a last note, it seems like you think fights will take an eternity. Ripping an enemy under 15 seconds is what a fast action game should do if the enemy is resistant(not a boss tought, a boss should last more). One minute of freezing seems like it gives you time to chop the enemy into 9 pieces, then grab each one of the pieces and throw em'' inside the garbage can.

Sorry to be blunt last night but it was late when i typed it!
Okay i give you the answers:

----------------------------------------------------------------
First, please tell me what are the advantages and disadvantages of each Elemental properties of the main character.

Well the sword he uses is kinda differant of the sword you are thinking of cause it aint somthing he holds in his hand.....it comes out of his hand.
He wears a bangle on his Left arm and when he chooses to use it He can summon the Energy from the bangle to create the Blade he uses.
The blade is mainly green yet see-through and can slice through enimes like nothing....it is called ''The Bangle Blade''.
The Poperties of the sword are earned over the course of the game and each is more powerful than the last.
Normal: The default setting - Can kill enemies in 4-7 hits
Fire: more powerful and can shoot homing fireballs, kills in 4-5 hits
Electric: Can instantly kill Machines and sends electic shocks through the ground that seek oput and damage enemies, kills in 3-4 hits
Wind: Can send enemies flying back long distances, kills in 2-3 hits
Pure Energy: The most powerful upgrade, Kills in 1 hit
There are really no weak points to the settings but they kill none the less.

About aiming, I think you plan to have some baddies to fight with. More than just one type of baddie. You could make baddies have weak points and strong points, so if the player goes for aiming if he shoots at a weak point it hurts the enemy more, and viceversa, and so the lock-on always aims for the chest.

Well you character automaticly targets The chest but using the Shoulder buttons you can change the Position in which you hit...like you can aim for the Feet and imoboilise your enemies or if you aim for the head you can take them down in no time!.

I guess the first character''s guns are weaker than the second character''s guns, or the second character''s guns can be improved way beyond the first character''s guns.

Exactly!....The second Character can upgrade her guns to make them more powerful than ever.....kinda like Resi 3 and Deus Ex

I don''t know why but I think I have heard something like ''Phoenix Drive'' from somewhere...

I like FF7

About the second character... what type of upgrades can his handgunds get? I don''t get the hacking into devices part, you haven''t said anything about any kind of devices... I think I do get the Stun Probes part.

Well she can upgrade them to lasers or sniper rifles....she is very talented so she can make her Pistol into a handheld machinegun or somthin.
Well she uses a device on her watch to hack into doors and Machines just by solving little puzzles like Minoko did in Project Eden!.
And the stun probes are just a basic weapon good for the first few levels.

And as a last note, it seems like you think fights will take an eternity. Ripping an enemy under 15 seconds is what a fast action game should do if the enemy is resistant(not a boss tought, a boss should last more). One minute of freezing seems like it gives you time to chop the enemy into 9 pieces, then grab each one of the pieces and throw em'' inside the garbage can.

Yeah...but the fights in my game are more like Devil May Cry and Serious Sam put together so expect a fun bash em up and Shoot em up type of game!
By the way...its a 3rd Person Perspective game!

Any more Questions?

Sorry, I haven''t been around GameDev.net too much lately(blame college and sex! :D )

Okay, so now everything is much more clear.

I didn''t played Devil May Cry for too long, but please don''t make it repetitive fighting.

Also, shoulder buttons? Do you plan this for a console? Since you are talking about DMC I think you are talking about PS2..

And, do you have any previous experience with making games?

The fighting will not be repetitive it will just be more Interactive than DMC ever was.
Yes it will be for a console but not PS cause im Still 16 and know absolutly nothing bout programing!.
Also i have no experiance but I play alot of good games (FF, DMC, MGS, TR) And i look at all the things from the games that could be perfected...so...there is my system!.

Also...i dont think this counts as the fighting system but there will be small button bashing rounds in parts and Two way options like in Resi Evil 3.
You will be able to fight much easy in this game so to show you how easy it is i will put down some PS controls to show you what the button layout would be:

Sword Guy:

D-Pad: Weapons Select - You know how it works
L-Stick: Move Character - Same Here
L3: Rescue Button - Like in Resi 3
R-Stick: Camera - Yup
R3: Center Cam - Aha
L1: Crouch - To get through small areas...DUH!
L2: Sword Infusions - Scroll through the types of Sword you can get.
R1: Stealth - Walk slowly and Hug Walls
R2: Bullet Types - Scrolls between Bullet types (Kinda like NOLF)
X: Jump - You know the Drill
[]: Attack - Swings BBlade or Shoots Guns (Hold to Aim and use D-Pad to Cycle through Targets)
(): Switch Between Sword and Guns - Again Ya know
T: Enable Drive (When Lit) - When your Phoenix Drive is full You can unleash its power by simply tapping this button

Gun Babe:

D-Pad: Junk Select - Scroll through the junk you can find and Toss it at yer enemies.
L-Stick: Move Character - Yes
L3: Rescue Button - As Above
R-Stick: Camera - Ya Know
R3: Center Cam - Aha
L1: Show ID - Some people may be freinds and you are the Vice President of a Powerful Company so simply flash your ID and see what happens
L2: Switch Ammo - Switches your Ammo around so if you made a new ammo you can equip it
R1: Stealth - As Above
R2: Help Radio - You dont have room to put this on so you keep it in your pocket and when it beeps you simply summon it and you Friends will help ya!.
X: Hop - She cant jump but hey...when in rome!
[]: Shoot - Same system as Above (when ammo is gone you will switch to stun probes)
(): Access Combine Screen - When you get a peice of junk you can fit it on to your gun in a drag-and-drop style interface.
T: Overload Weapon - This sets your ammo to overload like a bomb...but if you do you will lose your ammo and you will have to equip more Also certain ammos have differant explosiaon effects!

Also...dont worry about me!...enjoy your stimulating skin based fun.

[edited by - CHASIS-BLADE on May 26, 2004 5:04:27 PM]

Heh, before going on... how do you plan to make the game if you don't know how to program? I think you should first trying making a simpler game than that before even trying to make the one you really want to do..

EDIT: Probably because you lack experience other posters didn't answered. That is pretty much the answer you will get most times. Honestly, you probably don't have any idea of the dedication that making games alone needs.

[edited by - Coz on May 26, 2004 11:51:24 PM]

Im not a pro mate i just made this System and i want to see how other people would like it!.
Please dont treat me like a pro cause im not...I just made this thing That i would like to play and i want to see how you liked it!...THATS ALL!
And i dont plan to make it alone....Im going to get a job one day with one of them companys but for now i just want a verdict!

I guess its ok but a battle system is not composed only by the controls.. I mean you would have to mention every single detail about combat, including details about enemies, and how the world influence the game and viceversa..

And I didn''t treated you like a pro, if you were like that I prolly would ask you advice actually I''m treating you like quitte the opposite..

If you are interested in game design, there are some great articles in gamedev.net and gamasutra.

Im not really a designer but more of a combo of stuff - A writer, A Designer (One that just Makes all the combat stuff and what should be what on screen...ya know) And a composer (He he..yeah i did do a few tracks!)
Please understand i dont want to learn how to program but i just what this Question asked:

Would this make a good system? and if you need another answer just tell me - I am not a programer - Im no real pro on the computer - Im just a guy who would think this is cool and i want to see what other folk think...KaY!

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!