• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BerwynIrish

Game world: regional accents

This topic is 5234 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''m considering assigning regional accents to my NPCs. I feel this would add a little something to immersion, as well as directly affecting the player''s decision-making process under certain circumstances ("Bob sounds like he''s from ABC, maybe he can tell me something about XYZ"). NPC communication is through text, not voice acting. Do you think the distraction of accentuated text would be beyond the point of justifying its use to accomplish what I have suggested? I would keep it as light as possible, probably just one letter/letter combination replacement per region.

Advertisement
I think if its carried out with real consideration for the player''s ability to read the text naturally, it can add a nice touch of flavor to the game.

Yeah, it could make a very good idea !
The only problem is that you''ve got to record all dialog in the game... But if you can, do it ! It can make the game more immersive and can, as you said, make a better gameplay !

Chman

If you really wanted to get into it in detail you could take a linguistics class like I happen to be doing right now. Language variation depends on a whole range of things: region, economic/social status, gender, and environment are the ones I can think of off the top of my head. You could make this very sophisticated if you chose to.

For a complete rendition you would also have to change grammar and vocabulary in addition to accenting. "Bad grammar" generally isn''t - it''s either grammar using a different set of rules, or uncertainty over a certain rule.

quote:
Original post by BerwynIrish
NPC communication is through text, not voice acting. Do you think the distraction of accentuated text would be beyond the point of justifying its use to accomplish what I have suggested? I would keep it as light as possible, probably just one letter/letter combination replacement per region.

How would you do this? Through a change of font, or with special characters?

Since it is text, you may have to be more ham-fisted.. for instance, using different ways of spelling the same words.

--------------------
Just waiting for the mothership...

quote:
Original post by RTF
If you really wanted to get into it in detail you could take a linguistics class like I happen to be doing right now. Language variation depends on a whole range of things: region, economic/social status, gender, and environment are the ones I can think of off the top of my head. You could make this very sophisticated if you chose to.

For a complete rendition you would also have to change grammar and vocabulary in addition to accenting. "Bad grammar" generally isn't - it's either grammar using a different set of rules, or uncertainty over a certain rule.
I am considering things like grammar and word choice, but I'll be basing such decisions on the character's social status rather than region of origin, and I don't have the same worries that those things have the potential to be as off-putting as presenting the player with words spelled in mutliple unconventional ways. However, sentence construction based on gender isn't something I have considered before.
quote:
Original post by Wavinator
How would you do this? Through a change of font, or with special characters?

Since it is text, you may have to be more ham-fisted.. for instance, using different ways of spelling the same words.
I'm using pattern matching and replacement (which boils down to spelling words differently), and will likely make use of a few of the extended ASCII characters (specifically, the vowels with the funky accent characters).

(Edited for nonsensical double negative)

[edited by - BerwynIrish on May 23, 2004 10:43:18 PM]

Guest Anonymous Poster
Mesa dinkin'' dat yousa got a berry berry good idea!

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!