Collision working well?!

Started by
2 comments, last by GENTS 19 years, 11 months ago
Hi to everybody!!! I''ve developed something with DirectX (something as the "Tiny" model walking in the screen near other objects) but now I want to check collision, but things is making very hard!!! You can find an example of where I want to check collision here: http://www.gents.it/lavoro/Working_Set.zip Can anybody help me?! THANKS!!!
----------------------------------------------- - GENTS -"Every man dies, not every man really lives"[William Wallace] - visit my website: GENTS.it -- Using Effect files with DirectX 9 Basics Tutorial -- MilkShape 3D models and OpenGL ES Tutorial -
Advertisement
Sorry, but saying something like "now I want to check collision, but things is making very hard!!!" won''t get you many responses because there is really no specific question.

Collision detection is a large topic and can be accomplished in a variety of ways. Do a search through the forum archives and you''ll see dozens of threads that deal with the issue.

As a basic overview, in real-time applications collision detection is generally done by computing some kind of bounding volume around your objects. For example, you could create a box that completely surronds a character in your game. If you create bounding volumes (a box in this case) around all of the objects in your world, then collision detection becomes a problem of detecting when two boxes have collided.

There are many optimizations to this but the basic idea is to avoid checking for the intersection of specific triangles in models and instead use some kind of bounding volume around your models (or even parts of your models to get more accurate collisions) and use them to check for collisions.

Please do a search in the forum archives and using Google to find out more info. If you have specific questions, post them here on the board and we''ll try to help.

neneboricua
Ok...
I see that I''m wrong!!!

I''ve just seen some examples... but I only need an explenation...

HOW CAN I MAKE A BOX AROUND MY MODEL AN MAKE IT INVISIBLE?!

How can I show my model and not the box around it?!

THANKS FOR ALL!!!
----------------------------------------------- - GENTS -"Every man dies, not every man really lives"[William Wallace] - visit my website: GENTS.it -- Using Effect files with DirectX 9 Basics Tutorial -- MilkShape 3D models and OpenGL ES Tutorial -
D3DXComputeBoundingBox() will find the bounding box of a set of vertices. Do a search of this forum to find implementation details if you need help with it.

Here are some sites that have info on collision detection:
Here
Here
Here
Here

Also, please knock it off with the caps and exclamation points. It''s not getting you anywhere. Learning to search efficiently will help you a lot, since this has been discussed about a billion times

Dustin Franklin
Mircrosoft DirectX MVP
Dustin Franklin ( circlesoft :: KBase :: Mystic GD :: ApolloNL )

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement