• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Chokki

dreams

This topic is 5275 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have been having reoccuring nightmares lately. While spending one sleepless night staring at my alarm clock drift past 4 A.M., I began to think. These dreams, what if the dreams i was having were related to the dreams someone else was having? what if dreams that we remember are just bits and pieces of a whole dream world? that got me thinking about how i was acting dumb from lack of sleep, and so i just stopped thinking at all until i managed to drop off to sleep again. but- for game purposes, what if I was right? What if we all lead two lives, one while we are awake, and one in a far away place when we are asleep? Could what happens in the dreamworld affect things in reality? hmm... breakthrough game concept, or result of too little sleep? You decide.

Advertisement
While it''s evident that we do not physically go to another world, the dream world,or subconscious, of each person is believed to reflect actual events in a persons life, and some psychologist believe that it is our mind trying to work out problems in our lives, and or helping us to store memories. If these theroies are in fact true, then in "reality", the dream world does in fact influence "reality", or atleast our perception of it.

As far as games go, it''s not really a gimmic that would be revolutionary. Many games use similair mechanisms. There was one game specifically that was designed by Jhonen Vasquez, the author of the comic Johnny the homicidal maniac, but I can''t seem to recall the name of it, that used a dream world to influence things in the supposed real world. Other games I can think of are Silent Hill,and then of course the slew of games that have the scenario where your character wakes up to realize it''s all been a dream (ex: Mario 2), but that''s really something different entirley.

This sounds a lot like The Longest Journey, which I''m playing atm. Basically there are two worlds, (i) a magical one called Arcadia, and, (ii) a scientific world, this one, called Stark.

When one dreams in Stark they are connected to Arcadia.

Anyway, it doesn''t seem very ''groundbreaking'' (sorry!) but that doesn''t mean it doesn''t have mileage.

Try to read Phillip Kindred Dick's conference named "If you think this world is not enough, you should check some others..."

Written in 1977, Dick prepared it for a conference in Bordeaux, France. I don't know the exact title as i read it in french, but it should be easy to find as he only wrote 4 conferences in his life (1928-82).

This is an amazing lecture about his thoughts about the reality we're living. There are a lot of inspiring books and novels from him anyway.

[edited by - realitycheck on June 2, 2004 5:31:54 AM]

It could also just be your brain running routine maintenence (a reason why we need to sleep), and as it''s neurons fire, some of them in your visual center, some of them in your audio center, your "logic" center makes sense of it all...which coalesces into a dream.

Or it could be fragments of insanity penetrating our defenses when we let them down at night.

Anyway =) I heard about a book very very similiar to this game mentioned ("The Longest Journey")...maybe one is based on/related to the other. I''ve played games before that involves two ''parallel'' worlds that affect one another. If it''s integrated well it can be fun.

Dreams, whatever they are, are a great place to derive ideas for games. I think, anyway.

In early December of 2003 I had a interesting dream as well and started to write it out as a horror movie. I will be filming the movie when I get the script completed.I have one script finished but needs work on it.Just tolet you know where I am heading to similar to what you have planeed for a video game.It will feature black and white with color throwing every one off thinking that color is the real reality while black and white is a dream but can youtell the difference in realities.

BullDogRacing27

speaking of dreams, i tried a technique to remember your dreams...

you tense you muscles to relax a few times, and then keep repeating to yourself, "I will remember my dreams."

OMFG it works!!

anywho, i am working on a new spin for this whole idea.. i''ll let you all in on it as soon as i have a working idea..

When I was in late Elementary school, I remember making a map, and pointing to a place on it. During my sleep, I''d live the life of a person in that land, from birth to death. Then I''d wake up and remember the entire thing. It was quite refreshing, and I got many good writing ideas from it.

Dreams are cool, the story im working on has dreams being relevant in that they are the world in which the problem is, and if the problem isnt corrected the waking world will suffer dire consequences. if you want to get a good idea for dream stories read the Sandman series by Neil Giaman.

I find it kind of funny, and perhaps a little scary, considering the context of this thread, that the most memorable dreams I've ever had were horrors. I once dreamed of everyone dying and their skeletons being animated as they once were(imagine the horror of seeing your dead brother living as a skeleton!!). I once dreamed of a woman who had the power to kill any person or creature she wanted to by freezing them in the blink of an eye. Sometimes these dreams return, and like faded horror movies, I greet them with not horror, but familiarity, but the first time...

Perhaps the familiarity of dreams is something that could be used as a literary device, where those dreamers who were stuck in such a loop are trying to find something, and when a few dreamers are stuck in the same dream...revolution is born! :D

[edited by - SJ_Zero on June 8, 2004 8:05:35 PM]

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!