Mesh Lighting

Started by
5 comments, last by Sean Doherty 19 years, 11 months ago
The following is the same image; one is from Mesh Viewer and the other is from my game: Why would they look so different? At first glance it looks like the trilinear filtering is not turned on and there is two much light being applied to the one in the game [right side]? Any advice would be helpful? _______________________________________ Understanding is a three edged sword... Independent Games compete Head to Head ... www.FreelanceGames.com [edited by - Sean Doherty on May 24, 2004 8:39:04 PM]
_______________________________________Understanding is a three edged sword...Freelance Games - Home of XBLIG Starchonwww.FreelanceGames.com
Advertisement
Hmmm,

Looks like I actually had the filtering turned off; but I still can''t figure out why the mesh is "so white"?

Independent Games compete Head to Head ...
www.FreelanceGames.com
_______________________________________Understanding is a three edged sword...Freelance Games - Home of XBLIG Starchonwww.FreelanceGames.com
have you tried reducing the ambient light?
d3dDevice->SetRenderState(D3DRS_AMBIENT, 0x00202020);
Are your normals setup correctly?
It could be indeed the ambient set differently.
Are you applying any materials to the mesh??
The normals appear to to be correct; and I have tried to set different ambients. Does anyone know what ambients Microsoft Mesh Viewer uses?

From what I can see; as long as I render my meshes in GameSpace with white lighting; everythings looks the same. But the real question is why does it display different is Mesh Veiwer?

Thanks

Independent Games compete Head to Head ...
www.FreelanceGames.com

[edited by - Sean Doherty on May 25, 2004 12:34:38 PM]
I had the same problem using gameSpace and exporting to .x. It is something to do with gameSpace and the .x file format. I''ve brought the issue on up the forums many times, and I know it is being addressed. We had to solve the issue programmatically in our engine. You''ll notice, in meshviewer, if you turn textures off, and lighting on, that portions of your model, or your entire model, has a color that it shouldn''t have. This color is typically an average hue value of the texture you are using. After many posts on the gameSpace and trueSpace tech forums, there is still no explanation. Take some comfort in the fact, that you aren''t the only one with this problem.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement