Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Berty

Exporting Animated 3D Objects for Game

Berty    122
Hi, I have created a large "mech" sort of model that is an end of level boss for my vertical shmup (like raiden but rendered in 3D). I have only ever worked with sprites before so i dont know what the process is to export the model and its associated animations. The model has four legs, and some weapons on top of it that are all animated. The model also follows a pre-defined path that the player has no control over. What is the best way to export this model so all of the animations remain in-tact and can abe performed in game? I am using 3D studio max for the model and Irrlicht for the game engine which can import MD2 files (dont know if this helps)

area51    122
ID Software use a tool called QData to convert from .3ds to md2 (Quake 2 format). I haven’t used this personally, although try that first.

Failing that, import the .3ds mesh into Milkshape and re-rig it there, more work but you will be able to generate an animated .ms3d file(Irrlicht uses this aswell) or convert to md2 from within Milkshape afterwards.

[edited by - area51 on May 27, 2004 4:47:45 AM]

[edited by - area51 on May 27, 2004 4:50:09 AM]

[edited by - area51 on May 27, 2004 4:50:52 AM]

[edited by - area51 on May 27, 2004 5:06:11 AM]