a jackaroo's problem about entering game programming

Started by
8 comments, last by yuzuo1216 19 years, 11 months ago
hello, I''m a programmer who want to entering into the field of game programming. Please excuse my poor English. I have some problems: 1) In windows, can we operate on hardware directly ? or we must use DirectX? 2) about programming language, I have some knowedge about C++,now Microsoft is advocating C#, is it suitable for game programming? what''s the best language for game programming? best regards. Yu Zuo
a jackaroo hope to program some games.
Advertisement
to #2: there is no "best" language for game programming. Use whatever is most suitable for what you're trying to make. If it's a text game anything will work, if its a web application/small game you may want to use Java/C#, if its a project you and a team will be spending monthes and millions of dollars on you're probably going to want to use C++. I personally would recommend Java or C++ for pretty much anything you need to make.

[edited by - Ceoddyn on May 24, 2004 9:56:42 PM]
1) Interacting with hardware directly is possible if you are willing to write your own device driver. Doing this requires, of course, having access to the hardware specifications, which is less than easy in many cases (listen to the laments of the Linux people).
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan
quote:Original post by Fruny
1) Interacting with hardware directly is possible if you are willing to write your own device driver. Doing this requires, of course, having access to the hardware specifications, which is less than easy in many cases (listen to the laments of the Linux people).

...also it's often hardware-specific, so you'll be writing drivers for each piece of hardware you want to support (including different vendors).

[edited by - henrym on May 25, 2004 1:07:19 AM]
It''s easier to not work with hardware directly, use the libraries that are avaliable! That doesn''t necessarily mean DirectX. That could mean OpenGL and OpenAL (which is what I use).

Regarding programming language, I''d ignore C# and concentrate on C++. The reason being, C++ is a very popular language, and when you''re just learning you''ll want to read tutorials. There are millions of tutorials written in C++, so it''s perfect.
Thanks all.

Another question is about Engine. which I thought is used to render graphics into video card , isn''t it? If it is , can I the GDI+ library and DirectX as an engine. If it isn''t, what is it?
what functions should be included in a simple 2D engine, how about 3D engine?
The engine is simply the code that does the basic work (ie. non game-logic) of your games. This includes input, graphics, sound, etc.

I dont know the GDI+ library, so I cant really comment on it, except to say that it sounds like it utilizes GDI, and GDI functions can often be slow - thats why we have DirectX.

DirectX has components for input, sound, graphics, networking, and a few other nifty things to boot, but it will restrict you to the Windows operating system (not always a bad thing, but keep it in mind).

- Jason Astle-Adams

thank you,Kazgoroth
If we hope to write a game which can run on multiple platforms such as Mac, Windows and Linux, then we need to write a common engine. Isn''t it? Is there some common engines?

best regards.
Yu zuo
There are cross-platform engines, that are built using cross-platform libraries.

One of those cross-platform libraries is SDL

Edit: I suck at teh HTML

[edited by - xMcBaiNx on May 25, 2004 9:36:26 PM]
I teleported home one night; With Ron and Sid and Meg; Ron stole Meggie's heart away; And I got Sydney's leg. <> I'm blogging, emo style
Another API you can use to build an engine is OpenGL.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement