Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

feisar

Hardware vs Software Occlusion Culling

feisar    122
I''m kinda confused, I eventually switched to Hardware Occlusion Culling (NV_occlusion_query) and it seems to me, that OGL and DX suck at the implementation. What are your thoughts on HW Occlusion Culling? Shall I switch back to the good ol'' usual suspects (HOM as my own fav). Seen in context of the new next-next gen gfx card like the 6800 i''m currently planning to implement just both, HW&SW, waiting for Godoth .

Extrarius    1412
I think the mythical YannL implemented a software z buffer for testing occlusion so the graphics hardware could do one thing while the CPU helped with another.

I think you could get test only the front face of the bounding box(simple to do since it has a constant Z and is rectangular in screen space) to see if something is potentially occluded and then render a very low resolution version of the model into the software z buffer if it should be drawn. You need to make sure the low-resolution version is the same size/shape or smaller(so it never covers area the high-res version doesn''t) than the full model so that stuff isn''t improperly rejected from being rendered, but that shouldn''t be hard to do.